End of Program

On the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019 you must either complete your course of study or apply for an I-20 or DS-2019 extension. On your program end date begins your Grace Period (30 days for J, 60 days for F). You may not apply for a program extension during your grace period. If needed, you may request a program extension before your program end date.

During your Grace Period you must do one of the following:

If your plan is to leave the United States before the end of your grace period, please note that if you plan to travel to Canada or anywhere else outside of the United States, ISS will not be able to sign your I-20 for travel. This means that if you wish to travel to Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, you will NOT be able to re-enter the United States as an F-1 or J-1 student.

Finally, if you have dependents (F-2 or J-2) with you in the United States, their status is dependent upon yours. If you choose to leave the United States after you complete your program of study, your family members may not legally stay here if they hold F-2 or J-2 status.

Apply for Graduation

As you near your graduation date, please complete and submit a graduation application online through BOSS for the semester you anticipate completing ALL of your coursework. Deadlines for graduation application are no later than the end of the sixth week of the fall or spring term and by the end of the second week of Summer II for summer graduation. You may find detailed information about applying for graduation on the Graduation Information page.

Please note: the submission of a graduation application DOES NOT guarantee graduation. You must meet all university and major requirements to receive your degree.


SEVP allows students to transfer their SEVIS records from one certified school to another. If you decide to transfer during your program or after graduation, please be aware of the procedures and implications of your transfer.

F-1 students can learn more about submitting a Transfer Out Request for F-1 Students

J-1 students can learn more about submitting a Transfer Out Request for J-1 Students.

Apply for OPT

F-1 students should apply for OPT during their last semester. Wise students will apply 90 days before graduation. Learn more about OPT at ualr.edu/international/opt/.