Spring Break 2018
The UALR International Business Program is making plans for a trip to Costa Rica for Spring Break 2018. The group will leave on Friday, March 16 and return on Saturday, March 24.
The trip is a required component of the Field Study in International Business class (IBUS 4316/5316) at UALR. MBA students may participate in the Field Study by registering for IBUS 5316, which will count as an elective toward the MBA program. Students will be required to register for the course, pay appropriate tuition for the course, and pay travel costs ($2,900) that will cover meals, hotels, airfare, and ground transportation. You must pay a $200 non-refundable application fee for the trip (just registering for the course does not guarantee your spot), by 5pm on Friday, November 17, 2017.
You can contact your adviser or department chair to determine if this class will satisfy requirements for your degree. The course is being organized this year by Dr. David Gilliam; students may contact him at email@example.com or 501.569.8861. The MBA adviser is Dr. Sonya Premeaux and she may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a nine day Field Study Program in March 2018. Every year we choose a theme for the lectures and company visits. For 2018, UALR will look at the small business and entrepreneurship practices of Costa Rican companies, community entrepreneurs, and indigenous artisans. The 2018 lecturers and visits will also examine how Costa Rican firms integrate sustainability practices into their operations.
Visits and lecturers can change according to availability and the following itinerary is tentative.
- Friday, March 16 – (PM) Arrival at San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Saturday, March 17 – Drive to Monteverde, Campus Tour, Finca La Bella Coffee, Monteverde Cosmetics.
- Sunday, March 18 – Natural History Hike – Optional zipline at Monteverde – Lecture at Children’s Eternal Rain Forest.
- Monday, March 19 – Full day of lectures at the hotel. Morning: CINDE, Procomer. Afternoon: Social Responsibility and Intro to Sustainability.
- Tuesday, March 20 – Company visits in the morning & afternoon.
- Wednesday, March 21 – Morning: Sibu chocolate. Afternoon: Departure towards the North Pacific.
- Thursday, March 22 – Full beach day.
- Friday, March 23 – Optional tour day of activities.
- Saturday, March 24 – Departure.
COSTS, CONDITIONS, AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
A. Student Rate:
Total per student: Regular tuition and fees for the course at UALR, and $2,900 fee payable to UALR. Fee will cover the following:
- Airfare to and from Costa Rica
- Transfers: airport – hotel – airport.
- 1 nights at Hotel Tryp Sabana in double/triple occupancy with buffet breakfasts and taxes.
- 2 nights at the Earth University Facilities with breakfast, dinner, lunch, and tours described.
- 1 night at El Encanto Bed & Breakfast at Cahuita.
- 1 night at Arenal Volcano Hotel.
- 3 nights at Barcelo Langosta 5 Star All Inclusive Resort. Accommodation triple or double.
- All breakfasts and lunches, and four dinners are included.
- Tours: Pineapple tour, tours at Earth, Chorotegan ceramic tour, chocolate tour, and kayak tour; including guides.
- Site visits and lectures (The lecturers could change depending on the speakers availability).
- Transportation with specialized guide.
- Local Insurance.
NOTE: Every student must bring their own medical insurance and a student identification card for discounts in travel and cultural activities. Not included in the student rate is the exit airport tax of $28 per student that has to be paid at the airport. The cost per student is based on a group of 12 students. In case of fewer students, the costs would have to be reviewed
B. Schedule of Payments:
- Students will be required to register for the course (IBUS 4316 or IBUS 5316) and pay appropriate tuition for the course.
- Students must pay a $200 non-refundable application fee to reserve a spot for the trip (just registering for the course does not guarantee your spot), due by 5pm on Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Students must pay the $2,900 field study program costs which will be applied to the student’s Spring 2018 UALR Student Account on December 1, 2017.
To reserve your spot in this class:
- Register for IBUS 4316 or IBUS 5316
- Email Dr. Gilliam at email@example.com so that you can be added to the list.
- You will need to pay your $200 non-refundable application fee by 5pm on Friday, November 17, 2017. The check should be made out to UALR and can be submitted to Dr. Gilliam.
- You will receive an email from Dr. Gilliam on December 15th or before letting you know that the class has “made” (meaning that we have the required minimum enrollment).