Human Research Training
In accordance with federal regulations, all UALR researchers (including faculty, staff, and students) who plan to conduct research projects involving human subjects must receive training in the protection of human subjects. UALR requirements include satisfactory completion of the Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) in the Protection of Human Research Subjects and a review of the Belmont Report, which outlines the “Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research.” Note: Proof of training must be submitted with each request for IRB review.
You can register for the online course at www.citiprogram.org which is hosted by the University of Miami. You will assign yourself a username and password. Please write them down, ORSP does not have a record of your username or password.
UALR requires the basic training that consists of eight (8) core required modules. This is under GROUP 1. Please consider doing additional optional modules appropriate to the research being conducted.
For example, a researcher planning to work with children in school would take the core required modules and two optional modules- “Research with Children” and “Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools.” A researcher conducting an online survey would be required to take “Internet Research” in addition to the core modules. Some of the required modules are:
- History and Ethical Principles-SBR
- Defining Research with Human Subjects-SBR
- The Regulations and the Social and Behavioral Sciences-SBR
- Assessing Risk in Social and Behavioral Sciences-SBR
- Informed Consent-SBR
- Privacy and Confidentiality-SBR
- University of Arkansas-Little Rock
Some of the optional modules most relevant to UALR researchers include:
- Research with Prisoners-SBR
- Research with Children-SBR
- Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools-SBR
- International Research-SBR
- Internet Research-SBR
- Group Harms: Research with Culturally or Medically Vulnerable Groups
- Workers as Research Subjects-A Vulnerable Population
After you complete the required modules the CITI program will generate a Course Completion Record listing all the modules you have completed. Please print it and keep a copy for your records. You will be required to include verification of training with every IRB proposal. The training certificate is valid for three years.
Please direct any questions or technical problems to Interim Compliance Officer at 501-569-8657.