This article describes solutions to a problem Outlook users will encounter after their email is migrated to Google. This problem only affects Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007 running on Windows.
By default, Microsoft Outlook sorts messages by a “Received” or “Arranged by” column, arranging the messages in the order that they were delivered to the server. After migration to Google, Outlook will incorrectly show the date and time the message was migrated in this column instead of the original date and time the message was delivered.
Note: The GMail web interface is not affected by this issue and will show migrated messages sorted by the correct date.
Installing the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook plug-in resolves this problem without having to adjust the way you view your messages. While all of the features in Google Apps are available within the web-based interface at mail.ualr.edu, installing Google Apps Sync offers more benefits to Outlook users than a simple POP/IMAP connection.
In addition to solving this migration problem, Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook will:
- Create a new Outlook profile for you, allowing you to import your previous settings and preferences
- Set up the connection to Google without asking you to enter server hostnames and ports
- Integrate Outlook with more Google features than a simple IMAP connection, including your Contacts and your Calendar
Follow these steps to install Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook:
- If you haven’t already, sign in to your Google Apps account on the web at least once, to accept Google’s Terms and Conditions.
- Go to the Google Apps Sync download page and carefully review the system requirements listed there. Before continuing with installation, install any necessary updates to your version of Outlook or Windows.
- From the same download page, click the big download button to download and install Google Apps Sync.
- Run the downloaded program and follow the steps. You will be asked to log in to your Google mailbox using your UALR email address and password.
- After you have completed the installation, the Google Apps Sync plug-in will begin synchronizing your Outlook mailbox with your Google mailbox. Depending on the amount of mail you have, this may take awhile. However, you can begin using Outlook immediately.
Here is a step-by-step video that walks you through the installation:
A quick fix to this problem is to add a new Sent column to your folder view inside Outlook. You can also sort by this column so that your messages will appear in the order they were in before.
Follow these steps to apply the workaround:
- Run Microsoft Outlook and open your Inbox
- Right-click the Arranged by: Date column and select Custom…
- Click the Fields button
- Select the field named Sent in the Available Fields list, and click the Add button
- Click the OK button
- Click the Sort button
- In the Sort items by drop-down menu select Sent and click the OK button
- Click the OK button again
Here is a step-by-step video (view full screen):
If you need assistance, start by contacting your technical support representative. If you still have problems, please contact the Computing Services Help Desk.