- The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. ? 2701, et seq.
- The ACLU’s web page about the United States Patriot Act
- The Center for Democracy and Technology’s web page about government surveillance
- The Subpoena Defense Alliance
- Information on accessing the contents of a deceased person’s mail.
If you have specific concerns about requests for your personal information, you may want to contact one of the organizations listed above or your own attorney.
Has your account been compromised?
If you know or believe someone has created a Gmail address in an attempt to impersonate your identity, you may wish to file a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center.
In addition, we recommend contacting your state’s Office of Consumer Protection.