Follow these instructions to set up the VPN client and then use the connection on the Apple Mac OS X operating system.
Setting up the connection
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.Â The System Preferences window will appear.
- Select Network in the Internet & Wireless Section.Â The Network sub-window will appear.
- Click on the â€śCreate a new serviceâ€ť (+) button to create a new connection.Â A dialog will appear listing Interface, VPN Type, and Service Name.
- The Interface should be â€śVPNâ€ť.
- The VPN Type should be â€śL2TP over IPSecâ€ť.
- The Service Name can be â€śUALR VPNâ€ť for descriptive purposes.
- Click the Create button.
- The new connection will appear in the left column. Configure the connection options as follows:
- Enter â€śvpn.ualr.eduâ€ť in the Server Address field.
- Enter your UALR NetID in the Account Name field.
- Click the Authentication Settingsâ€¦ button. A dialog will appear with User Authentication and Machine Authentication sections.
- Enter your UALR NetID password in the Password field.
- Enter the shared key â€śUALRHasData4U2Useâ€ť in the Shared Secret field. The shared key is case-sensitive.
- Click the OK button.
- Check the box labeled Show VPN status in menu bar.Â This option causes a VPN icon to appear in the menu bar in the upper-right part of the desktop.
- Click the Apply button to save all settings.
The VPN is now configured. You can close this window, and any other open windows, to return to the desktop.
Using the connection
These instructions assume you have a working Internet connection.
- To start a VPN connection, select Connect UALR VPN (L2TP) from the VPN drop-down menu in the upper-right part of the desktop.
The text â€śConnectingâ€¦â€ť will appear next to the VPN icon. Then the text â€śAuthenticatingâ€¦â€ť will appear next to the VPN icon. If you are instead prompted for a password, enter it and click the OK button. Then the â€śAuthenticatingâ€¦â€ť text will appear again.Â Upon successful connection, a timer will appear next to the VPN icon monitoring the length of your current connection.
- To end a VPN connection, select Disconnect UALR VPN (L2TP) from the VPN drop-down menu in the upper-right part of the desktop.
The connection timer will disappear and you will no longer be connected to the campus network.
While you are connected to the UALR VPN service, you may access campus-only services such as shared drives and remote desktops.