Follow these instructions to set up the VPN client and then use the connection on the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system.
Setting up the connection
- Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Networking and Sharing Center. Select â€śSet up a new connection or networkâ€ť. The Set up a connection wizard will appear.
- Select â€śConnect to a workplaceâ€ť and click the â€śNextâ€ť button.
- Click the â€śUse my Internet connection (VPN)â€ť button.
- In the Internet address field, type â€śvpn.ualr.eduâ€ť.
- In the Destination name field, type â€śUALR VPNâ€ť.
- Select the â€śDonâ€™t connect now, just set it up so I can connect laterâ€ť checkbox.
- Click the â€śNextâ€ť button.
- In the User name field, enter your UALR NetID.
- In the Password field, enter your UALR Net ID password.
- Leave everything else blank, and click â€śCreateâ€ť.
- Click the â€śCloseâ€ť button. The Set up a connection wizard will disappear, returning you to the Network and Sharing Center window.
- Select â€śChange adapter settingsâ€ť in the left-hand Tasks list. The Network Connections window will appear.
- Select the UALR VPN icon and click the â€śChange settings of this connectionâ€ť button in the task bar above the icon. Alternatively, you can right-click the UALR VPN icon and select Properties. The UALR VPN Properties window will appear.
- Select the Security tab, and then under â€śType of VPN:â€ť select â€śL2TP IPSec VPNâ€ť from the drop-down menu.
- Be sure that the â€śAllow these protocolsâ€ť radio button is selected.
- Check â€śUnencrypted password (PAP)â€ť, and uncheck any other boxes.
- Click â€śAdvanced settingsâ€ť, and select the â€śUse preshared key for authenticationâ€ť.
- In the Key field, type â€śUALRHasData4U2Useâ€ť (this key is case sensitive). The key will display as plain text when you first enter it, however, when you return to this screen it will be hidden.
- Click â€śOKâ€ť.
- Select the Networking tab and highlight â€śInternet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)â€ť and then click the Properties button. The Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IP) Properties window will appear.
- Click â€śAdvancedâ€ť. The Advanced TCP/IP Settings window will appear.
- Uncheck the Use default gateway on remote network checkbox on the IP Settings tab and click the â€śOKâ€ť button.
- Click â€śOKâ€ť to exit the Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IP) Properties window and then click â€śOKâ€ť again to exit the UALR VPN Properties window.
The VPN is now configured. You can close this window, and any other open windows, to return to the desktop.
Using the connection
These instructions assume you have a working Internet connection.
- Click your wireless icon, or network icon (depending on how you are connected to the network) in the System Tray (bottom right of screen).
- Click â€śUALR VPNâ€ť in the connection dialog box.
- Click â€śConnectâ€ť.
- Enter your UALR NetID in the User name field.
- Enter your UALR NetID password in the Password field.
- Click â€śConnectâ€ť again.
The VPN client will attempt to make the connection, verify the username and password, and register your computer on the UALR campus network.
While you are connected to the UALR VPN service, you may access campus-only services such as shared drives and remote desktops.