Setting up the connection
First, create the VPN connection profile.
- On the Metro screen, select Desktop.
The desktop will appear.
- Access the charms by pointing your mouse to the upper-right or the lower-right corner of the screen and moving up or down.
A toolbar will appear with Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings.
- Select Settings then Control Panel.
The Control Panel window will appear.
- navigate to Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, then
- select “Set up a new connection or network”.
The “Set up a connection” wizard will appear.
- Select “Connect to a workplace”, then the Next button.
- Select “Use my Internet connection (VPN)” and fill out the following fields:
- Internet address: vpn.ualr.edu
- Destination name: UALR VPN
- Remember my credentials: Checked (ensure only this checkbox is checked)
- Select the Create button.
The “Set up a connection” wizard will disappear, returning you to the Control Panel’s Network and Sharing Center.
Next, modify the default settings to be compatible with the UALR network.
- In the Network and Sharing Center, select “Change adapter settings”.
The Network Connections control panel will appear.
- Select “UALR VPN”, then the “Change settings of this connection” button.
The UALR VPN Properties window will appear.
- On the Security tab, make the following selections:
- Type of VPN: Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP IPsec)
- Allow these protocols: Checked
- Unencrypted password (PAP): Checked (uncheck any other checkboxes)
- Select the Advanced Settings button, then make the following modifications:
- Use pre-shared key for authentication: Checked
- Key: UALRHasData4U2Use
Warning: This key is case-sensitive.
- Select the OK button.
- On the Networking tab, select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”, then select the Properties button.
The Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) window will appear.
- Select the Advanced button, then make the following modifications:
- Use default gateawy on remote network: Unchecked
- Save all settings by selecting the OK button repeatedly until you have returned to the Network Connections control panel.
Using the connection
These instructions assume you have a working internet connection.
- Select the network icon (wired or wireless) in the System Tray.
The Connection dialog will appear.
- Select “UALR VPN” in the Connection dialog.
- Select the Connect button and enter the following information:
- User name: (use your NetID)
- Password: (use your password)
- Select the Connect button.
The VPN client will attempt to make the connection, verify the username and password, and register your computer on the UALR network. While you have an active VPN connection to the UALR network, you may access campus-only services such as shared drives, remote desktops, and network-restricted applications.