The American Bar Association is one of the world’s largest voluntary professional organizations, with nearly 400,000 members and more than 3,500 entities. It is committed to doing what only a national association of attorneys can do: serving our members, improving the legal profession, eliminating bias and enhancing diversity, and advancing the rule of law throughout the United States and around the world.
When lawyers need to be heard, the ABA is their voice both nationally and globally. We work to promote judicial independence and ensure funding for the Legal Services Corporation. We also promote the international rule of law through programs in more than 40 countries that focus on access to justice, human rights, anti-corruption, judicial reform and more.
Membership is open to lawyers, law students, and others interested in the law and the legal profession. The membership fees are $25 a year or $60 for three years.
By joining the ABA Law Student Division, you can begin building a sturdy foundation to your future career. Just look at all the building blocks you’ll receive to get you started:
- Subscriptions to the ABA Journal, e-Journal, Student Lawyer magazine and the Division monthly e-Newsletter.
- Moot court and practical skills competitions in arbitration, client counseling, negotiation and appellate advocacy.
- Nationally recognized writing competitions, many of which award monetary prizes.
- Internships, fellowships, and clerkships in a variety of practice specialties.
- Leadership opportunities within your school, your region or on a national level.
- Specialized publications and programs in 30+ specialty practice groups – 21 of which are free to law students.
- Involvement in specialty practice groups that cover more than 30+ areas of law.
- Opportunities to work with legal professionals on committees and advocacy issues.
- Hotlines for answers to your ethics questions (312.988.5323).
- Career guidance, including job search information, trends, daily tips, advice and on-going access to career resources.
- Discounts on Career Series and other career development publications.
- Discounts of $50 – $100 on Kaplan review courses.
- Affordable student sickness/injury, auto and renters/home insurance.
- Discounts on hotels, rental cars, computers, cell phones, and other products from ABA Member Advantage.
- American Bar Association Representative: Jhanalyn Blount
- Lieutenant Governor of Diversity: LaTecia Nash
- Lieutenant Governor of Regional Coordinator: Ashley Jones