Criminal Procedure, Pre-Trial – Lowrey
- May 27 – Chapter 1: The Criminal Process: Failures, Choices and Legitimacy
- May 29 – Chapter 2: Fourth Amendment: An Overview and Chapter 3: Pages 87-105 (Through the end notes on Katz)
Cyberlaw Seminar – Joel DiPippa
Education Law – Broyles
Education Law: read chapter 2 for the first week of class.
Family Law – McMullen
- Register for the TWEN page, which should be ready by Thursday.
- Take the survey on TWEN.
- Read pp. 11-38 and 70-88 in the text.
Juvenile Law – Stallings
May 28 – Cases and Materials in Juvenile Law: Read Chapter 2 and be prepared for discussion. (We are skipping Chapter 1.)
Land Use – Foster
- Tuesday, May 27 â€“ Read Pp. 1-17. Ark. Code Ann. Â§Â§ 14-56-401 â€“ 425. Little Rock Code of Ordinances, Planning and Development Chapter. Also look at what is posted on TWEN under â€śArkansas Law.â€ť These will be helpful to you. Introduction to Land Use â€“ Structure of the Course. Think about the questions in the book as you read; we will discuss some of them in class. When reading Euclid, if you need more background on externalities, see the Wikipedia entry. For todayâ€™s class, look at the Comprehensive Plan Assignment posted on TWEN and complete it for today. I will collect them at the beginning of class. We will discuss it in class, so make sure you have an extra copy available in hand or on your computer. Check the GIS map for Little Rock if you live there and determine what kind of a zone you live in. Study the zoning classifications on the map. How do they compare with those in Euclid? You can see the classification spelled out in Sec. 36-176 of the LR Ordinances. Also in class today we will discuss the agency visits. Examine the handouts on TWEN, and the course calendar. Finally, we will examine Arkansas statutes regulating city planning.
- Wednesday, May 28 â€“ Pp. 18-51. Ark. Code Ann. Â§Â§ 14-46-416, 422, 425. LR Ordinance sections on variances and conditional uses. Look at the Little Rock Code of Ordinances zoning chapter. How does it define â€śvarianceâ€ť? â€śConditional useâ€ť? What are conditional uses in an R-1 district? R-2? C-1? I-1? Also read City of Ft. Smith v. McCutchen, 372 Ark. 541 (2008), and Rolling Pines Ltd. Partnership v. City of Little Rock, 73 Ark. App. 97 (2001). You will sign up for agency visits in class.
- Thursday, May 29 â€“ Pp. 51-75. See the definition of accessory use in the LR ordinances. What are accessory uses in an R-1 district? R-2? C-1? I-1? Also read Ferguson v. City of Mountain Pine, 278 Ark. 575 (1983). What is the procedure to obtain a zoning amendment in Arkansas and in Little Rock? Read PH, LLC v. City of Conway, 2009 Ark. 504. Find the LR ordinances concerning nonconforming uses. Does LR amortize any nonconforming uses? Read Conrad v. City of Beebe, 2012 Ark. App. 15.
Law Office Management – Niswanger
Legal Profession – Hansen
Casebook: Martyn & Fox, Traversing the Ethical Minefield: Problems, Law, and Professional Responsibility, 3rd Edition, 2013 (Wolters Kluwer/Aspen, 2013).
Rules Book: Martyn, Fox & Wendel, The Law Governing Lawyers: National Rules, Standards, Statutes, and State Lawyer Codes, 2014-15 Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2014).
First Week Reading Assignment:
- Casebook: Chapter 1, pages 1-21
- Rules book: Introduction: pages 1-5
Model Rules: Preamble, Scope, & Rule 1: pages 6-13
- The Law Governing Lawyers
- Casebook: Chapter 2, pages 23-54
- Rules book: Model Rules 8.1, 8.3, 8.4
Supreme Court Litigation – Brown
The Supreme Court Sourcebook, Chapter 1 (pages 1-20) and Chapter 2 (pages 21-24 and pages 79-92)
Water Law – Gould
In the attached file, “Water Law First Assignments,” are the assignments for the first three days of class. The materials in the file, “Thompson v. Enz Qs-Summer 14,” are in connection with the assignment for the Thursday, May 29 class (*see* the assignments for that date). Welcome to Water Law – look forward to seeing everyone in class.