Sixteen months into the job, I still have no doubt that it is a great honor and pleasure to be dean of the UALR Bowen School of Law. I have now met many of our committed alumni and other supporters, and I cannot thank you enough for all you have done for the law school.
I hope you feel great about Bowen and its future. As a person who has devoted his career to improving legal education, I can say, without reservation, that Bowen is an extraordinary law school, and we are engaged in a thoughtful, deliberate, and forward-looking effort to reimagine legal education.
As the end of the year approaches, I am asking for your continued support. The law school is working on a series of initiatives I think you will find exciting, including:
- new upper level factual investigation and legal research courses tied to key practice areas, such as business law, family law, and criminal law;
- a business and intellectual property clinic which we hope to house where it is most needed– right in the Arkansas Innovation Hub;
- a Family Resource Clinic that brings together graduate students in law, social work, and financial planning in service of divorcing and separating families;
- an effort to address regional lawyer shortages by bringing the law schoolâ€™s clinical offerings to the Arkansas Delta region;
- other efforts to bring the bench and bar into the law school, including our Distinguished Practitioner-in-Residence speaker series;
Other practice-focused projects are in the works. All of these projects require funding, especially given recent severe cuts in state funding. Bowenâ€™s funding, in fact, is approximately 180th among the 205 US law schools. We need your help to offset this competitive disadvantage and make these initiatives a reality. I hope you will keep the law school in mind as you make your year-end, tax-deductible contributions and consider making a meaningful gift to the school.
Your continued generosity to the Bowen School of Law is greatly appreciated.
Michael Hunter Schwartz
Dean and Professor of Law