Sixteen months into the job, I still have no doubt that it is a great honor and pleasure to be dean of the UALR Bowen School of Law. I have now met many of our committed alumni and other supporters, and I cannot thank you enough for all you have done for the law school.
I hope you feel great about Bowen and its future. As a person who has devoted his career to improving legal education, I can say, without reservation, that Bowen is an extraordinary law school, and we are engaged in a thoughtful, deliberate, and forward-looking effort to reimagine legal education.
As the end of the year approaches, I am asking for your continued support. The law school is working on a series of initiatives I think you will find exciting, including:
- new upper level factual investigation and legal research courses tied to key practice areas, such as business law, family law, and criminal law;
- a business and intellectual property clinic which we hope to house where it is most needed– right in the Arkansas Innovation Hub;
- a Family Resource Clinic that brings together graduate students in law, social work, and financial planning in service of divorcing and separating families;
- an effort to address regional lawyer shortages by bringing the law school’s clinical offerings to the Arkansas Delta region;
- other efforts to bring the bench and bar into the law school, including our Distinguished Practitioner-in-Residence speaker series;
Other practice-focused projects are in the works. All of these projects require funding, especially given recent severe cuts in state funding. Bowen’s funding, in fact, is approximately 180th among the 205 US law schools. We need your help to offset this competitive disadvantage and make these initiatives a reality. I hope you will keep the law school in mind as you make your year-end, tax-deductible contributions and consider making a meaningful gift to the school.
Your continued generosity to the Bowen School of Law is greatly appreciated.
Michael Hunter Schwartz
Dean and Professor of Law