Ottenheimer Library enriches and supports the University’s educational and research mission by sharing its expertise, fostering intellectual development, and promoting academic excellence.
As primary information provider to the University community, Ottenheimer Library will:
- Enhance and promote seamless access to the widest range of information and services needed to support students’ academic success, research by faculty and staff, and lifelong learning.
- Recruit and develop a cadre of knowledgeable, flexible, and creative faculty and staff to supply leadership and expertise in responding to advances in information technology and scholarly communication.
- Forge effective partnerships with institutions and organizations to capitalize on advancing technologies, shared resources, and innovative ideas.
- Provide an inviting, comfortable, and modern environment conducive to study, research, and the exploration of new technology.
- Develop a solid base of financial support within the region and the University community by soliciting major gifts, procuring grants, and building endowment funds.
Goal 1: ASSESSMENT
Identify and address faculty and student needs for additional resources, staff assistance, and services through a user-centered culture of continuous assessment and improvement. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Spearhead a comprehensive assessment plan incorporating appropriate tools to evaluate the library.
- Implement, plan, and evaluate user response.
- Use periodic assessment results to improve decision making.
- Publicize enhancements so that patrons are aware of user-centered changes.
Goal 2: COLLECTIONS
Support faculty and students in their teaching, learning, and research by evaluating the relevance of our current collections and increasing access to information resources and services. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Identify and implement an efficient model for developing collections that meets the teaching, learning, and research needs of the University.
- Provide specific attention to collection building for off-campus users, graduate level programs, and the University commitment to supporting research activity.
- Expand and develop consortial partnerships and cooperative purchasing.
- Develop and implement a plan to preserve the Library’s print, media, and digital collections.
Goal 3: TRAINING and STAFF DEVELOPMENT
Provide resources and services to students and faculty by ensuring that the Library recruits, retains, trains, and motivates user-centered library personnel. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 2)
- Update position descriptions and the Library’s faculty governance document to reflect the University’s commitment to research and technology.
- Identify staff training needs and develop programs to meet them.
- Promote opportunities for professional development through conference participation and other activities.
Goal 4: FACILITIES
Create a state-of-the-art library facility to enhance academic teaching, learning, and research at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 4)
- Investigate and evaluate recent innovations in physical layout of academic libraries.
- Renovate the Library to achieve the greatest impact from library collections and services.
- Renovate the Library to create inviting academic and learning spaces.
Goal 5: COMMUNICATIONS
Publicize the Library as the primary information provider for the University and the community. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Numbers 1, 3)
- Review and develop marketing strategies for library resources and services.
- Strengthen existing and develop new campus alliances.
- Formalize and expand relationships with other libraries and organizations.
Goal 6: DEVELOPMENT
Increase external funding in support of teaching, learning, and research. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 5)
- Develop and implement a financial plan to enhance resources and services.
- Work with the Development Office, Alumni Association, and other agencies to identify fund-raising opportunities.