In the Ottenheimer Library’s Vision Statement we commit ourselves to three areas of excellence. Working from these general areas, we have articulated the following more targeted strategic actions for 2009 – 2012.
COLLECTIONS – Support faculty and students in their teaching, learning and research by evaluating the relevance of our current collections and increasing access to information resources and services. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Identify and implement a model for developing collections that meets the teaching, learning and research needs of the University.
- Begin the first phase of the Association for Research Libraries Collection Analysis Project (CAP). (Spring 2010)
- Create and implement a weeding plan for the Circulating Collections. (Spring 2010)
- Update the collection development policy. (Spring 2010)
- Investigate opportunities for developing new agreements. (Spring 2010)
FACILITIES – Create a state-of-the-art library facility to enhance academic teaching, learning and research at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 4)
- Develop a plan for systematic maintenance of the library building.
- Create walk-through check list for basic maintenance. (Spring 2010)
- Create floor by floor list of immediate needs. (Spring 2010)
- Determine need for re-wiring of library building. (Spring 2010)
- Review user needs. (2009 – 2010)
- Reassess collection locations. (Summer 2010)
- Visit other libraries. (Summer 2010)
- Investigate and develop new floor plans. (Summer 2010)
- Request funding for comfortable furniture and study table chairs. (Ongoing)
TECHNOLOGY – Identify library technology needs and develop a plan for continuous improvement; evaluate the usability of existing library interfaces; review alternative products and solutions, and recommend technology and interface improvements as needed to provide effective universal access to information resources and services. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Investigate emerging library technologies and technology trends.
- Promote the awareness of library technology trends with library faculty/staff. (Ongoing)
- Identify technology training needs for library faculty/staff. (Spring 2010)
- Coordinate technology training for library faculty/staff. (Ongoing)
- Identify best practices in academic library Web site design. (Spring 2010)
- Assist UALR Web Services in usability testing. (2009 – 2010)
- Assist UALR Web Services in the design of a new library Web site. (Summer 2010)
- Oversee the initial migration of library Web content to WordPress. (Summer 2010)
- Review and update existing 3rd party interfaces for better usability and interoperability. (Spring 2010)
- Evaluate alternative library interfaces. (Ongoing)
- Review current library promotion and outreach efforts. (Spring 2010)
- Develop an infrastructure for a coordinated program of library marketing and outreach using multiple formats and interfaces. (Spring 2010)
- Investigate new communication opportunities and technologies. (Ongoing)