Students selecting the entrepreneurship and small business management (ESBM) emphasis in the management major develop conceptual and applied skills requisite to developing and managing an economically successful small business.Â Entrepreneurial talents are focused and practical decision making skills are enhanced through experiential activities.
Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management Educational Goals
- Understand and and be able to integrate appropriate strategic management concepts in the design and implementation of a corporate/business strategy.Â Â This objective includes defining the organization’s purpose/mission, setting objectives, determining opportunities and threats, monitoring competitors, crafting appropriate strategic actions, implementing appropriate structural and support systems, and providing strategic leadership.
- Understand the principles of planning, directing, and controlling the human resource management function and the components of a comprehensive human resource program involving the recruitment, development, evaluation, compensation, and motivation of an identified workforce.
- Understand the principles of managing small businesses, including management, marketing, finance, accounting, research and development, and administration.
Entrepreneurship and Small Business Emphasis Requirements:
- MGMT 3362 Small Business Management
- MGMT 4361 New Venture Creation
- MGMT 4363 Financing Entrepreneurial Ventures
- MGMT 4365 Business Consulting
- MGMT 4383 Issues in Entrepreneurship
- MKTG 4310 Marketing Research
Three courses (9 hours) from the following:
- MGMT 3320 Human Resource Management
- MGMT 3340 Applied Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 3352 Advanced Personal Computer Applications
- MGMT 3364 Family Business Management
- MGMT 4360 Compensation Management
- MGMT 4391 Employment Law
May include up to one of the following:
- ADVT 3300 Principles of Advertising
- FINC 3370 Real Estate
- FINC 4360 Risk Management
- FINC 4365 Business Insurance and Estate Planning
- MKTG 3370 Principles of Retailing
- MKTG 4370 Business-to-Business Marketing
- MKTG 3385 Consumer Analysis and Behavior
- MKTG 4385 Marketing Management
- PFSL 3351 Sales Operations
For other requirements of the BBAÂ in Management Degree.