Students choosing the general management emphasis in the management major will develop conceptual skills and practical problem-solving techniques that apply to management and will be educated in management fundamentals and methods applicable to decision making.¬† Emphasis is placed on the importance of organizational behavior in public and private enterprises and consideration of the public interest in making management decisions.
General Management Educational Goals
- Understand and integrate appropriate strategic management concepts in the design and implementation of a corporate/business strategy.¬† This objective includes defining the organization’s purpose/mission, setting objectives, determining opportunities and threats, monitoring competitors, crafting appropriate strategic actions, implementing appropriate structural and support systems, and providing strategic leadership.
- Understand the principles of planning, directing, and controlling the human resource management function and the components of a comprehensive¬†human resource¬†program involving the recruitment, development, evaluation, compensation, and motivation of an identified workforce.
- Understand the concepts underlying effective interpersonal relations and group/team leadership skills and be able to model the roles involved in making assignments, empowering, praising, coaching, evaluating, disciplining, decision making, and resolving conflict.
- Understand the principles of managing small businesses including management, marketing, finance, accounting, research, and development, and administration.
General Management Emphasis Requirements:
General Management Emphasis
- MGMT 3320 Human Resources Management
- MGMT 3340 Applied Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 3362 Small Business Management
- MGMT 4377 International Business Management
Six courses (18 hours) from the following:
- BINS 4331 Management of Info Resources
- IBUS 4316 Field Study in International Business
- MGMT 3306 Quality Assurance and Improvement
- MGMT 3364 Family Business Management
- MGMT 4304 Productions/Operations Management II
- MGMT 4341 Labor and Industrial Relations
- MGMT 4360 Compensation Management
- MGMT 4361 New Venture Creation
- MGMT 4365 Business Consulting
- MGMT 4375 Sustainable Business
- MGMT 4378 Global Operations Management
- MGMT 4383 Issues in Entrepreneurship
- MGMT 4385 Special Topics in Management
- MGMT 4391 Employment Law
- MGMT 4395 Applications in Human Resource Management
- SPCH 3323 Conflict Management
For other requirements of the BBA¬†in Management Degree.