Secondary Education Advanced Track
Candidates are required to maintain professional connections with schools, and as graduates, they continue to work collaboratively with school colleagues, parents/guardians, and the community; in addition, they acquire the foundations and dispositions in research, problem-solving, reflective thinking and technology for lifelong learning.
Secondary Education Content Advisors:
Cheryl Grable, Ph.D., Science, Mathematics, and Music
Judith Hayn, Ph.D., Coordinator, English, Speech & Drama, Health & P.E., and Foreign Languages
Karina Clemmons, Ph.D., Foreign Language, Business, and Art
Andrew Hunt, Ph.D., Social Studies
Advanced Track Admission Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A 2.75 undergraduate grade point average or a 3.0 for the last 60 hours or a 3.0 in the content area or completion of 12 hours in another graduate program with a 3.0 average.
- A candidate with a grade point average between 2.5 and 2.75 is required to demonstrate competence with a Graduate Record Exam Score.
- A regular Arkansas Teacher License.
- Completion of all application materials.
Advanced Track Program Requirements
Professional Education Requirements-(12 hours)
- TCED 7303 Reflective Teaching
- EDFN 7303 Introduction to Research in Education
- SCED 7302 Trends and Issues in Secondary Education Seminar
- SCED 7304 Action Research Project
Competencies-(0-15 hours — typically 6-9 hours)
Students are required to demonstrate competence in the following areas. Students may demonstrate competence by portfolio in TCED 7303 or by receiving a satisfactory grade on one of the courses after the area of competence or in a comparable course.
Commitment to students and their learning (choose from):
- SCED 5321 Adolescent Development and Diversity
- SPED 7103 Teaching Adolescent Exceptionalities
- SPED 7203 Adolescents with Exceptionalities
- EDFN 7313 Learning Theories
EDFN 7320 Advanced Educational Psychology
EDFN 7330 Human Development
Mastery of content and content pedagogy (choose from):
- SCED 7201 Curriculum Design
- SCED 7202 Specialized Instructional Methods or content courses
Managing and monitoring student learning (choose from):
- SCED 7306 Instructional Skills and Classroom Management
- EDFN 7370 Educational Assessment
- TCED 7341 Conflict Management in the Schools
- Technology: TCED 5300 Workshop
- (Optional) Professional Contribution: TCED 7333 Supervision of Student Teaching
Advanced Track Required Concentration(s)- (9-24 hours)
Students are required to complete a concentration of 9-24 hours in the subject area, a specific area of education, or in an approved interdisciplinary area. Students with more than 18 hours available for concentrations may elect a second concentration area.
Advanced Track Graduation Requirements
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on an approved program of study of at least 36 hours as outlined above
- A Portfolio Defense
- All materials uploaded into Chalk and Wire.