- Apply for VA benefits on-line at www.vabenefits.vba.va.gov/
If first-time user, create VONAPP account, and choose one of these options:
- Complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Benefits)
- Complete VA Form 22-5490 (Dependentsâ€™ Application for VA Benefits), if your parent or spouse is permanently and totally disabled or died as the result of service-connected disability:
- If your parent or guardian died in the line of duty on or after 9/11/01, you may be eligible for the John David Fry Scholarship, complete the VA Form 22-5490 and select the Fry scholarship as the benefit.
- If you are 18 years old and enrolled in a high school, you may qualify for monthly benefits while in high school. a) Complete VA Form 22-5490, b) Have high school call the VA State Approving Agency (SAA), 501 324-9473, to confirm if school is an approved site, c) After receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA Regional Office, please call the SAA, 501 324-8473 for more information.
- If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at fafsa.gov to be considered for the grant.
- Complete VA Form 22-1990e (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits), complete after DoD has approved Post 9/11 transfer benefits to your family member.
- Complete VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veteranâ€™s Application for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Note: The VA Regional Office will send you an email to confirm receipt of your application.
- Forward the VA confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following on the email:
- Your name
- VA Chapter applied for
- Term you plan to begin
- UALR ID# or last 4 digits of Social Security Number and date of birth
- After 3/4 weeks, your application should be reviewed and a response will be received by mail:
- If approved for VA educational benefits, forward a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the UALR Office of Veterans Affairs.
- If denied for VA educational benefits, forward a copy of the denial letter to the UALR Office of Veterans Affairs. This will allow us to review your application process to determine if other documentation is needed.
- Chapter 31 Voc Rehab students, have your Voc Rehab counselor submit Form 28-1905 to our office.
- Documents may be submitted by email to email@example.com or by fax to (501) 683-7055.
- Register for classes. Refer to the Registration Pocket Guide for registration dates: ualr.edu/registration/index.php/home/miscellaneous-information/registration-pocket-guides/.
- Submit a UALR VA Certification Request Form (CRF) after you register for classes. The form is available online at http://ualr.edu/admissions/va-certification-request. You should do this after you are fairly certain that your selection of classes is final. If you submit a CRF and then change classes, you will have to resubmit another CRF. The CRF form will allow the UALR Office of Veterans Affairs to:
- Confirm your registration in UALRâ€™s internal confirmation process, and
- Release your information, as required, to the Veterans Regional Office.
NOTE: You must submit a separate CRF for each enrollment term. If term enrollment dates overlap, the VA Regional Office adds the credit hours from the terms together during the overlapping period(s) to calculate your eligibility.
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Students: Please note that in addition to # 5, you must have your Voc Rehab counselor send Form 28-1905 to the UALR Office of Veterans Affairs. The form may be faxed to 501.683.7055 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you decide not to attend UALR for any term, you must withdraw from all classes through the UALR Office of Records and Registration by 4:00 pm at the end of the 100% refund period by the specific date(s) per term to receive a full adjustment of charges. Not attending class does not remove this obligation; if you are registered, you are liable for charges. These dates and more information are located at ualr.edu/bursar.
You may be able to receive credit for your military training. Contact Kathy Oliverio, UALR Military Ombudsman, for more information at email@example.com . You can use this link ualr.edu/military/index.php/home/transcripts/ to request transcripts.
Apply for Admission
You may apply for admission online: apply.ualr.edu . There is a $40 non-refundable application fee.
Apply for Tuition Assistance (TA)
- Air Force - www.my.af.mil/
- Army – www.GoArmyEd.com
- Navy – Official Navy Tuition Assistance
- Marines – Marines must apply for and receive written authorization for TA through the appropriate education office, PRIOR to enrollment. Certification Form
- Coast Guard – TA Application (CG-4147)
- National Guard – National Guard Virtual Armory www.GoArmyEd.com
- Army Reserves – www.GoArmyEd.com
Apply for State Aid
- Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) www.adhe.edu. Application deadline is June 1. By applying at this site, you may qualify for the AR Challenge (Lottery) Scholarship, Military Dependents (MDS) Scholarship, etc.
- Guard Tuition Incentive Program (GTIP) – Application requirements have changed beginning with the Fall 2013 semester. You may send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org for the NEW Application dated 1 July 2013 or contact your Unit.
- Fall term applications are accepted July 1 – August 15
- Spring term applications are accepted November 1 â€“ December 15
Apply for Federal Financial Aid
If you wish to apply for federal assistance (Pell Grant, Stafford Loans, etc.), in addition to your veterans educational benefits, apply on-line at www.fafsa.gov. Use last yearâ€™s financial information and the UALR School Code is 001101.
UALR Class Search
To search for classes follow this link: a.ualr.edu/classes/
UALR Course Catalog
To view Undergraduate and/or Graduate information about degree programs follow this link: ualr.edu/catalog
Other GI Bill Monthly Benefits Eligibility Policies and Considerations:
- Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 must request payment at the end of each month by using one of the following:
- By calling 1-(877)823-2378, Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.)
- Going online at www.gibill.va.gov Click on verify attendance (W.A.V.E.) Tab then create account and submit enrollment for payment.
- The Veterans Regional Office will not pay for the following:
- A course that does not pertain to the degree you are seeking
- On-line developmental (remedial) courses
- A course already passed at an acceptable level at UALR or any other school — (Check with your advisor: a grade of â€śDâ€ť may be an acceptable grade for your degree requirement.)
- UALR reports regularly to the Veterans Regional Office. If any of the following actions result in your having been paid more than what you are eligible for, you may have to repay the amount in excess of your eligibility:
- Dropped class
- Term withdrawal
- NC (no-credit) grade in a non-developmental course
- Non-attendance grade (grade of F)
- Incomplete grade that is subsequently replaced with a NC (no-credit) grade
- UALR also reports the following information to the Veterans Regional Office:
- Academic probation
- Undergraduate students who have 60 or more Overall Earned Hours must have a declared major by meeting with a program advisor in the major department.
- Post-Baccalaureate and Graduate students must have a declared major Â by meeting with a program advisor in the major department.