Steps Transfer Post 9/11 Educational Benefits to Dependents

  • If Parent or Spouse Is Currently Retired AND Transferred Benefits To Dependent While On Active Duty, Go To Step A Below:
  • If Parent or Spouse Is Currently On Active Duty, Follow Steps Below:
  1. Go to the Department of Defense (DoD) transferability application website to determine if your Dependents’ are eligible to receive the transferred benefits: gibill/.
  2. Apply for approval using the Department of Defense (DoD) transferability application website (Non-VA link, Internet Explorer only) at
    • After 3-4 weeks, your transfer application should be reviewed. If approved by DoD, go to Step A. to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA Regional Office.

Step A– The student needs to apply for VA benefits on-line. If 1st time user, create VONAPP account, and complete VA Form 22-1990e (Application for VA Benefits for Post 9/11 Transfer Benefits).

  1. The VA Regional Office will send you an email to confirm receipt of your application.
  2. Forward the VA confirmation email to and include the following on the email:
    1. Your name
    2. VA Chapter applied for
    3. Term you plan to begin
    4. UALR ID# or last 4 digits of Social Security Number and date of birth
  3. After 3-4 weeks, your application should be reviewed. If approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE should be submitted to school.
  4. Register for classes.
  5. Submit a UA Little Rock VA Certification Request Form (CRF) after you register for classes. You should do this after you are fairly certain that your selection of classes is final. If you submit a CRF and then change classes, you will have to resubmit another CRF. The CRF form will allow the UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success to:
    1. Release your information, as required, to the Veterans Regional Office.
    2. Make payment arrangements on your behalf to prevent deletion of classes. Once funds are released by the VA Regional Office, you are responsible for making payments on your balance to UALR or ensuring your balance is paid in full.
      NOTE: If term enrollment dates overlap, the VA Regional Office adds the credit hours from the terms together during the overlapping period(s) to calculate your eligibility.
  6. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Students: Please note that in addition to # 5, you must have your Voc Rehab counselor send Form 28-1905 to the UALR Office of Veterans Affairs. The form may be faxed to 501.683.7055 or emailed to
  7. If you decide not to attend UALR for any term, you must withdraw from all classes through the UALR Office of Records and Registration by 4:00 pm at the end of the 100% refund period by the specific date(s) per term to receive a full adjustment of charges. Not attending class does not remove this obligation; if you are registered, you are liable for charges. These dates and more information are located at

Apply for Admission

You may apply for admission online. There is a $40 non-refundable application fee.

Apply for other Financial Assistance

You may apply for other financial assistance in addition to your military benefits.

UALR Class Search

To search for classes follow this link:

UALR Course Catalog

The UALR Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law School catalogs are all online.

Other VA Educational Monthly Benefits Eligibility Policies and Considerations:

  1. Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 must request payment at the end of each month by using one of the following:
    1. By calling 1-(877)823-2378, Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.)
    2. Going online at Click on verify attendance (W.A.V.E.) Tab then create account and submit enrollment for payment.
  2. The Veterans Regional Office will not pay for the following:
    1. A course that does not pertain to the degree you are seeking
    2. On-line developmental (remedial) courses
    3. A course already passed at an acceptable level at UALR or any other school — (Check with your advisor: a grade of “D” may be an acceptable grade for your degree requirement.)
  3. UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success reports regularly to the Veterans Regional Office. If any of the following actions result in your having been paid more than what you are eligible for, you may have to repay the amount in excess of your eligibility:
    1. Dropped class
    2. Term withdrawal
    3. “NC” (no-credit) grade in a non-developmental course
    4. Non-attendance grade (grade of “F”)
    5. Incomplete grade that is subsequently replaced with a “NC” (no-credit) grade
  4. UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success also reports the following information to the Veterans Regional Office:
    1. Academic probation
    2. Suspension
    3. Graduation
  5. Undergraduate students who have 60 or more Overall Earned Hours must have a declared major by meeting with a program advisor in the major department.
  6. Post-Baccalaureate and Graduate students must have a declared major by meeting with a program advisor in the major department.