Traditional and Traditional-Accelerated Option Application Requirements
The UALR Department of Nursing offers an Associate of Science degree RN program. The course of study includes 31 credit hours in liberal arts and sciences and 34 credit hours in nursing. The traditional option is fall, spring, fall, spring; an Accelerated Traditional Option is offered fall, spring, summer, fall. All traditional option students complete NURS 1300 prior to unconditional admission.
The student must:
1. Be admitted to UALR with regular or conditional admission status and maintain a 2.0 GPA at UALR. Transfer students currently enrolled in other universities at the time of application will be considered for admission into the nursing program if the following documents are on file in the UALR Office of Admissions and Financial Aid:
- Completed UALR application form (UALR Admissions)
- Valid ACT or SAT scores, completed high school transcript or GED scores, and official college transcripts through the previous fall semester.
- Required immunization records.
2. Obtain application advising from the Department of Nursing prior to submitting an application.
3. Have successfully completed or be eligible to enroll in MATH 1302 and RHET 1311 or their equivalents. All developmental courses must be completed.
4. Have successfully completed, or be enrolled in 4 credit hours of Anatomy and Physiology, either BIOL 1411 Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology I, BIOL 1412 Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology II, or equivalent. A three hour course will not meet this requirement.
5. Have a minimum GPA of 2.60 in nursing curriculum support courses (detailed below) and a cumulative UALR GPA of 2.00 or greater. The GPA is based on the courses completed at the time of application.
6. Submit a completed Department of Nursing Application Form (refer to the Application Forms page) between January 15 and February 28. Enclose a copy of all college/ university transcripts and scores for credit by examination in nursing curriculum support courses.
7. Include Evolve A2 scores. The first group of students will be accepted from this pool of applicants. The department continues to accept applications and will admit additional students after the February 28th date.
8. The English proficiency requirement for UALR Nursing. Present a score of at least 540(paper), 207(computer), or 83(IBT) earned within the last two years on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
ASN applicants will indicate on their application form if they prefer the traditional (fall, spring, fall, spring) or accelerated (fall, spring, summer, fall) option. Acceptance into the accelerated option is competitive as only 40 students are selected each year. Positions that become available throughout the enrollment period are filled from the accelerated option wait list.
The following students are not eligible for consideration into the traditional accelerated option:
- Academic reentry or transfer students (those who failed a nursing course or who withdrew failing)
- Students who have failed (D or F) any nursing curriculum support course. Recent academic history will be considered.
Selection for acceptance into the traditional accelerated program is competitive and is based on the following:
- Nursing curriculum support course GPA
- GPA in required math and science courses
- UALR cumulative GPA
- Evolve A2 test scores
- Grades in completed nursing courses
- Completion or planned completion of all associate degree curriculum support courses by December of the year of entry into the program or May of the following year