What is the difference between a UA Little Rock Online student and a Main Campus student?
A UA Little Rock Online student is declared in one of the approved, fully online degree or certificate programs that make up UA Little Rock Online. A reduced, standard rate of tuition is associated with these programs.
UA Little Rock Main Campus (or “Little Rock Campus”) students may take any combination of face-to-face, online, hybrid, or web-cast courses to complete their degree. Main Campus students are assessed the regular tuition and fees associated with their college and the academic year.
Both Online and Main Campus students have full access to the university’s academic resources. Learn more about the differences by visiting “UA Little Rock Online Explained” on the UA Little Rock eLearning website.
Am I ready for online courses?
- A quiet place to study
- Allotted study time each week
- Regular, reliable access to required equipment (see “basic requirements” section below)
- Sufficient skills in time management and communication
- To be self-motivated and disciplined
What are the basic requirements for online courses?
- A computer with an up-to-date operating system and processor, as well as sufficient storage and memory capacity
- A stable, broadband Internet connection
- An updated Internet browser
- Microsoft Office or OpenOffice
- Java and Macromedia Flash Player
Read more about the system requirements at our Blackboard Student Support website.
Note: Students taking online courses should have regular, reliable access to and control of a computer as your assignment dates may vary. Some courses may also require additional equipment or software. Check with your instructors and course syllabi to determine specific requirements for your online courses.
What does an online classroom look like?
Note: Students will not have access to their Blackboard courses until the first day of the term.
How can I keep track of everything?
- Blackboard offers several tools that help students stay on track and organized. The calendar tool keeps all your assignments and tasks in order, and you can easily import it into your personal calendar applications. You can also check your current grades, announcements from your instructors and online resources through the Ottenheimer Library. Want more Blackboard tips? Visit the Blackboard student support site.
- BOSS is the one-stop, online system for access to your university record and where most students conduct business from accepting financial aid to registering for classes, paying their bill, and checking grades. Have questions about BOSS? Contact IT Services at 501.916.5073 or email@example.com.
- Gmail and other Google Apps are available to every UA Little Rock student. Whether you need to communicate with your instructors, schedule important dates, review or share your notes, or collaborate on group projects with your classmates, it can all be done through your UA Little Rock Gmail account. Need help with your email? Visit the IT Services email support page.
Tip: You can bookmark the “Quick Links” page to easily reference important UA Little Rock resources.
How much time should I commit?
|Credit hours||Study hours (per week)|
|3 credit hours (1 course)||6-9 hours|
|9 credit hours (3 courses)||18-27 hours|
Note: Because accelerated courses are condensed to half a semester, they require twice as much study time per week as a semester-length course. Online students enrolled in accelerated programs should be prepared to spend a minimum of six hours a week on coursework for each credit hour. For example, a student taking a three-credit hour course should plan to spend approximately 15-18 hours per week on that particular course. We highly recommend that students take no more than two accelerated courses per term.
How many courses should I take?
|Employment hours per week||Recommended credit hours per week|
|40 hours||3-6 credit hours|
|30 hours||3-9 credit hours|
|20 hours||6-12 credit hours|
|< 20 hours||12-18 credit hours|
How much does it cost?
Discounts are also available for military students. Visit our “What it Costs” page for more details.
What will appear on my diploma?
What online resources are available to me?
Blackboard student support offers a variety of resources for users including tutorials, links to helpful resources, and answers to students’ frequently asked questions. Students may contact Blackboard support specialists by phone or through a simple online form, and are encouraged to bookmark the website for easy access to support resources.
Information Technology Services
The IT Services Assistance Center helps students with issues related to accessing the network on campus, logging into UA Little Rock systems (Blackboard, myUALR) or UA Little Rock email.
Contact IT Services
Students who take courses online have access to the Ottenheimer Library. Through the library’s website or Blackboard, students can take advantage of different research databases, scholarly journals, e-books and other research materials. Chat, email or speak directly with a librarian through the “Ask a Librarian” feature.
The OWL (Online Writing Lab)
Online students who need help with their writing have a valuable resource at their fingertips through The OWL, UA Little Rock’s Online Writing Lab. OWL assistants provide quality feedback and problem-solving strategies for students’ writing assignments.
Disability Resource Center
The Disability Resource Center collaborates with students, faculty, staff, and community members to create usable, equitable, inclusive, and sustainable learning environments. Students who are living with a disability and require support for their academic success may contact the center for solutions.
Veteran Student Success
UA Little Rock is a military friendly school, both on campus and online. Veterans and eligible dependents may find a multitude of academic support resources through UA Little Rock’s Veterans Affairs Office.
UA Little Rock Bookstore
Students can buy or rent textbooks (new, used, or digital), as well as planners and other supplies online through the UA Little Rock Bookstore. While you’re there, check out the university apparel and accessories to show your school spirit!
Browse the Bookstore