The Bachelor of Science in Education in elementary education is a two-part program that allows candidates who have earned an Associate of Science in elementary education to obtain licensure as a K-6 teacher. The 60-hour program, which is in exclusive partnership with the University of Arkansas Community College Batesville (UACCB), is designed to develop and prepare first-year teachers who are ready to effectively teach young children from the very first day.
Candidates will participate in synchronous discussions at a distance with their instructors and peers, as well as participate in hands-on field experiences in kindergarten, primary, and intermediate classrooms in respective schools close to their residence.
Required Courses (58-60 hours)
Note: ELEM 3200 Field Experience II may be waived if student can document field experience (personal or coursework).
Regular admission requirements
• Students must be formally admitted to UALR.
• Students must complete all core requirements, or an Associate’s Degree, with a cumulative grade point average of 2.7.
• Students must have a grade of “C” or better in speech, written communication, and math core courses. Due to state licensure requirements, UALR will not be able to apply the transfer of any “D” grade credits toward any of the program requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education K-6. This includes the following courses in the core curriculum: RHET 1311, and 1312, SPCH 1300, MATH 1302 or 1321 (or courses equivalent to these courses).
• Submission of Praxis CORE test scores to licensure advisor in DKSN 323 (Passing Scores: Math 150, Reading 156, Writing 162).
• ACT scores of 24 or above may be substituted for the reading and math section of the Praxis Core exam. The ACT may be substituted for Praxis “writing” if student took the open response version.
• Completion of all background checks (FBI, State Police, Child Maltreatment)
For conditional admission requirements, please contact the program advisor.
Program completion and licensure requires that students meet all general graduation requirements and earn a grade of C or greater in all professional education courses. Documentation of successful completion of all required Praxis examinations must be provided as a condition for graduation from the undergraduate elementary program. Students must submit complete Praxis exam scores to the College of Education and Health Professions as documentation of their successful completion of these tests.
Dr. Katina Leland | 501.683.7018 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Professor of Elementary Education
School of Education website | College of Education and Health Professions website
UALR School of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation. CAEP advances excellent educator preparation through evidence-based accreditation that assures quality and supports continuous improvement to strengthen P-12 student learning.
UALR is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, affiliated with the Electronic Campus of the Southern Regional Education Board, and designated as “doctoral/research intensive” by the Carnegie Foundation.
“Your success in the classroom is important to me, and it is the policy and practice of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock to create inclusive learning environments consistent with federal and state law. If you have a documented disability (or need to have a disability documented), and need an accommodation, please contact me privately as soon as possible, so that we can discuss with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) how to meet your specific needs and the requirements of the course. The DRC offers resources and coordinates reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are established through an interactive process among you, your instructor(s) and the DRC. Thus, if you have a disability, please contact me and/or the DRC, at 501.569.3143 (V/TTY) or 501.683.7629 (VP). For more information, please visit the DRC website at ualr.edu/disability.” – Dr. Katina Leland
- Cost per credit hour: $280