|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Policy on Policies|
|Policy Number: 216.1|
|Effective Date: November 10, 2009|
UALR policies and procedures do not replace any board policies or federal or state regulations. They are instituted to expand upon what is already in place or cover campus regulations that are not covered in Board policies or state and federal law.
Academic policies are the purview primarily of the faculty and are reflected in the faculty handbook, the student handbook, and graduate and undergraduate catalogs.
Administrative policies are primarily directed to the operation of the university and can be originated with any vice chancellor. As a general rule these must be approved by the chancellor.
The policies should do one or more of the following:
- Improve controls
- Reduce risk
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Elaborate on new compliance regulations or rules
- Enhance understanding of what to do in a specific situation
- Delineate what is in Board of Trustees policy
Before a policy/procedure is developed, it must be identified as a need by vice chancellors/deans/other unit heads. The appropriate vice chancellor makes an analysis to determine who the custodian of the policy should be. The department/unit that is identified as the â€ścustodianâ€ť drafts the policy. The institution should be proactive in creating policies before an emergency mandates the need for the development of a policy.
The department/unit developing the policy assembles a team to draft the policy. The policy should be an easy-to-understand document for individuals who need to refer to the policy.
Every policy has a custodian identified on the policy. It is the custodianâ€™s responsibility to be sure that the policy is kept up to date and rewritten or deleted when necessary. Users of the policies should contact the policy custodian if there are suggestions, updates, corrections, or problems with the policy.
Effective dates of the policy and revision dates are posted at the end of every policy.
Steps to Create or Revise a Policy
- After the custodian has drafted a policy, it is sent to the appropriate group(s) as determined by the vice chancellor (i.e., Chairs Council, Deans Council, Undergraduate/Graduate Councils, Faculty Senate, Chancellors Leadership Group, others) for review.
- After review by appropriate group(s), the policy is forwarded to the Direct Reports Group and chancellor for final review. After approval of the Direct Reports Group and General Counsel if appropriate, it is signed by the chancellor.
- If changes are required, the custodian makes the changes and forwards the policy through the appropriate vice chancellor to the chancellor for signature.
- After approval, the policy is assigned a number by the vice chancellor for finance and administration and placed on the policies and procedures web site. The site is located at the policy website and can be viewed by anyone using the Internet.
- Faculty and staff at the university are notified of a new or revised policy through an email â€śpushâ€ť to all employees and on the listservs, facfocus and staffocus. If appropriate, a written version will be disseminated widely. An announcement of the name and number of the policy and the website where it can be viewed is posted as soon as the policy is placed on the web.
- The format for submitting a new or revised policy is the same. No number will be listed on a new policy until the policy is approved.
Source: Chancellorâ€™s Direct Report Group, November 10, 2009
Approved By: Dr. Joel Anderson, Nov. 10, 2009