|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: UALR Athletics Policy|
|Policy Number: 1700.1|
|Effective Date: August 15, 2009|
Department of Athletics Philosophy, Purpose and Objectives:
The athletic program shall serve to inspire the pursuit of excellence through honest effort, principles of fair play and the personal integrity of all concerned. The provision of fine coaching, facilities, and equipment shall enable student-athletes to realize their potential. In this way, the athletic program can be a source of pride to all associated with the university, and positively fulfill its unique place in the public relations and education effort of the institution.
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock Department of Athletics adheres to the belief that intercollegiate athletics are an integral part of the educational framework of the university and that the program exists to compliment the mission and goals of the university. The athletic program for men and women shall serve as a means of education through which a significant contribution may be made to the total development of the student-athlete. The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is a Division I member of the NCAA and subscribes to the NCAA Division I philosophy noted below and all facets of the program will strictly adhere to all NCAA and Conference regulations.
Department of Athletics Purpose:
The primary purpose of the Athletic Program shall be to provide a quality competitive intercollegiate program for student-athletes which will enrich their lives, enhance the image of the institution, and be complimentary to the academic mission of the University.
Athletic Program Objectives:
- To maximize opportunities for student-athletes to participate in a quality athletic program with special attention paid to the physical welfare of the participants.
- To maximize opportunities for students to acquire positive values from their competitive sports experience, which will enhance their preparation for a productive life.
- To provide equitable opportunities for male and female students.
- To field teams capable of competing on an equal footing with rival institutions and which are competitive for conference championships and the national opportunities that conference championships may bring.
- To provide an atmosphere for participants to realize the importance of others and the value of teamwork and cooperation in attaining personal and team goals.
- To encourage the motivation and commitment necessary for the academic success of student-athletes.
- To foster high standards of ethical conduct and fair play.
- To maximize positive involvement by the various publics with the institution through the athletic program.
- To enhance the image of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
- To maximize and stabilize the generation of revenue from all sources to fund the athletic program.
For specific policies concerning UALR Athletics, please refer to the UALR Athletics Operating Manual.
Source: UALR Athletics Operating Manual, August 15, 2009
Approved By: Dr. Joel Anderson
Custodian: UALR Athletics