|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Maintenance and Repair of e-Learning Equipment|
|Policy Number: 601.5|
|Effective Date: June 17, 2002|
Equipment purchased by Multimedia Services is under that unitâ€™s authority for maintenance, repair and replacement. Likewise, individual units are responsible for equipment purchased for their exclusive use or for instructional space which has been assigned to that unit for its sole use. The following policy applies to instructional space that has been assigned to a given unit for priority but not sole use.
The college that has priority use of a classroom is ultimately responsible for maintaining the equipment in that classroom. In the case where priority scheduling is shared, the colleges involved must reach an agreement about who will do the following:
- Systematically monitor the equipment.
- Check on a regular basis to see if equipment is working.
- Run virus checks on computers on a regular schedule.
- Maintain problem logs in each classroom.
- Maintain a bulb hours log on data projectors.
- Clean equipment routinely.
- Coordinate the addition or deletion of any specialized software on the machines and re-image the computers at the beginning of each semester.
- Monitor security of classrooms.
- Insure that classrooms are locked at the end of the day as defined by the responsible college.
- Insure that equipment is turned off at the end of the day as defined by the responsible college.
- Maintain and monitor electronic keypads and room access. It might be preferable for the responsibility to fall upon the college that has its administrative offices in the same building as the classroom in question.
- Execute work orders for repairs with Computing Services, Multimedia Services, and/or Physical Plant. /li>
- Requests for repairs of computers, network problems, or problems related to viruses should be referred to Computing Services.
- Requests for replacements of bulbs and batteries for data projectors and remote controls should be referred to Multimedia Services.
- Requests for repairs of Multimedia Services owned equipment should be referred to Multimedia Services.
- Requests for repairs of multimedia equipment can also be referred to Multimedia Services, who will respond if within their areas of expertise.
- Requests for repairs for other equipment should be initiated by the college responsible for that equipment and directed toward the vendor from whom that equipment was purchased, or other qualified repair technician.
Cost of repairs and replacement:
Each college is responsible for the cost of replacement and repair of equipment it has purchased. The college with priority use of a classroom is responsible for the cost of replacement and repair of equipment in that classroom. Multimedia and Computer Services will cover the labor costs of requests for repairs but they will charge the college with priority use for replacement parts (including bulbs for data projectors and batteries for remote controls). Colleges that share priority scheduling rights for that space must reach an agreement about cost-sharing to maintain the equipment in shared classrooms.
Source: Memorandum from Chancellor Hathaway
Approved By: Chancellor Charles Hathaway
Custodian: Provost Office