|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Minors in UALR Laboratories|
|Policy Number: 701.26|
|Effective Date: February 11, 2010|
Persons under the age of 18 are prohibited from working in UALR laboratories as students, volunteers, or trainees except under the following conditions:
- The minor is employed by the university and has completed applicable training in safe laboratory procedures as specified by the Environmental Health and Safety Committee.
- The minor is enrolled in a university course with a laboratory component.
- The minor is participating in university-sponsored program and has received documented laboratory-specific training in safe laboratory procedures, adult supervision at all times, and
a signed assent and parental consent form on file for each laboratory activity.
Except for individuals in categories 1 and 2 above, minors may not participate in any laboratory activities involving:
- Biosafety Level 2 containment or higher
- Primate (including human) blood, fluids, or tissues
- Living vertebrate animals
- Human subjects
- Ionizing or non-ionizing radiation
- High voltage equipment
Principle investigators and/or lab supervisors must submit documents to the Environmental Health and Safety Committee for review and approval. Submittals include but are not limited to:
- Description of experiments to be conducted
- Standard operating procedures
- Chemical and material lists
- Training modules provided
Upon receipt and review of these documents, principal investigators and supervisors will be notified within 48 hours on the status of approval.
Source: Environmental Health and Safety
Approved By: Environmental Health and Safety Committee, Feb. 11, 2010
Custodian: EHS Committee