|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Faculty and Non-Classified Professional Staff Salary Funding Incentive Plan|
|Policy Number: 402.26|
|Effective Date: September 10, 2013|
Faculty and non-classified professional staff of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock have the opportunity to participate in a Faculty and Non-Classified Professional Staff Salary Funding Incentive Plan (FNPSSFI Plan) which allows cash incentives to faculty and non-classified professional staff who secure funding for their academic year salary from extramural sources.
The purpose of the FNPSSFI Plan is to enhance the research and scholarship of faculty and non-classified professional staff by increasing the level of extramural funding. The mechanism for doing so is to provide an annual incentive payment to faculty and non-classified professional staff who are successful in securing extramural funding for their annual salary. Associated benefits for the university will include: 1) retention and employment of faculty and non-classified professional staff who can compete effectively for extramural funding; and 2) stimulation of scholarly activity associated with becoming grant competitive.
To participate in the plan, a faculty or non-classified professional staff member will include all or a part of his or her base UALR salary and fringe benefits in a new or competitive renewal grant or contract budget. At the end of each fiscal year (June 30), the salary support for each faculty and non-classified professional staff member will be evaluated to determine eligibility for the incentive payment. If eligible, this incentive payment will be made to the faculty or non-classified professional staff member in accordance with the policy criteria. If possible, such payment will be made in a one-time lump sum or the payment may be paid in installments in such a manner as to assure adherence to all prevailing laws and policies. The payment will be subject to applicable withholding. Legislation line-item maximum may limit the amount of the incentive payment.
- The faculty member must hold a tenured or tenure-track state-funded appointment. The non-classified professional staff must hold a full-time position. Administrators at the level of dean and above will not be eligible to participate in the plan.
- The extramural funded salary must be at least 0.1 FTE in the fiscal year for 12-month appointments. For 9-month appointments the expectation is that the investigator would first use grant funds to pay summer salary. This incentive plan would only apply to the portion of the 9-month salary that is funded by the grant. The academic year funding must be for at least one month to be considered for this program. This program applies only to salary paid for research and scholarly efforts. Faculty participating in this program must maintain some classroom or online teaching responsibilities during the academic year the incentive is anticipated. The non-classified professional staff member participating in this program must be the principal investigator (PI) in the grant.
- The incentive payment will be calculated as 50 percent of the salary paid by grants, up to a maximum of 25 percent of the faculty and non-classified professional staff member’s annual salary for 12-month appointments or academic year salary for 9-month appointments. Calculation of any incentive payment shall exclude the value of any fringe benefits. Any incentive payment made shall not modify the faculty or non-classified professional staff member’s base salary.
- The salary support must be derived from either: 1) federally-funded competitive research or training grants or contracts; or 2) grants from industry or foundations that pay the federally-negotiated indirect cost rate or the maximum rate allowed by the funding organization as expressed in their public written policies (also called overhead or facilities and administration cost rate). External funds from gifts, in-state commodity organizations and state agencies will not apply. Under extraordinary circumstances, exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis starting with the department/unit head/chair. Grants and contracts must include authorization to use funds for faculty and non-classified professional staff salaries.
- A request by a faculty or non-classified professional staff member to seek an incentive payment under the plan must be submitted on the request form early in the fiscal year in which the grant or contract will pay salary. This request must be submitted each year for which an incentive is anticipated. Approval by the department/program chair or head and appropriate dean will be contingent upon meeting the criteria and purpose of the plan and upon the faculty or non-classified professional staff member maintaining a high level of productivity. Final approval for participation in this plan will be by the executive vice chancellor and provost. Deans will forward requests for participation to the vice provost for research for review. Requests will then be forwarded to the executive vice chancellor and provost for interpretation of the provisions of the policy and final approval. The faculty or non-classified professional staff member must confirm in June of each year that salary was paid by completing the confirmation form and submitting the form to the vice provost for research.
- The faculty or non-classified professional staff member must exhibit satisfactory performance in all assigned duties as determined by his or her chair and dean. Included is the responsibility of providing good fiscal and administrative management of all extramural funds for which he or she is principal investigator and completion of necessary progress reports in a timely and effective manner.
- Participation in the program is voluntary and is not mandated upon either the faculty, non-classified professional staff member, or the university. Participation is not an entitlement, but may be made available to eligible faculty and non-classified professional staff members when both the university and the faculty or non-classified professional staff member determines that it is in their mutual best interests to do so. Furthermore, the university reserves the right to suspend or terminate this program or the participation of any faculty or non-classified professional staff member at any time, for any reason.
- Faculty or non-classified professional staff who wish to take part in this plan must seek written approval in advance of participation, as described above. In addition, availability of any payments under the plan is subject to the availability of state appropriations, and to any applicable state, university, or federal laws, regulations, or policies.
- Any exceptions or deviations from the plan are subject to approval by the executive vice chancellor and provost and, as appropriate, the chancellor.
- Modifications to any aspect of this plan may be implemented at any time, as determined by the executive vice chancellor and provost, subject to approval by the chancellor. Such modification may occur through amendment of this plan or through written notice to the deans and other appropriate unit personnel.
Source: Chancellor’s Direct Report Group
Approved By: Dr. Joel E. Anderson, Chancellor