|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Financial Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress|
|Policy Number: 508.4|
|Effective Date: April 1, 2010 (review date)|
Students must make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree to receive Title IV financial aid. At the end of each semester, your academic record is reviewed to ensure you are making good progress toward your degree. Students must meet all three of the following minimum requirements for each term for which they receive financial aid in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress:
- Successful Completion of 75% of Coursework Attempted. Student aid recipients must successfully complete a minimum of 75% of their course work attempted each semester. Example: A student receives aid for the fall term based on 12 hours. The student is required to successfully complete a minimum of 9 hours (12 x 75% = 9) for the fall semester. Successful completion of a course is defined as a passing grade. Grades of W (withdrawn), F (failing), NC (no credit), or MG (missing grade) are not considered successful completion. A grade of I (incomplete) is not considered to be successful completion until the course has been completed and the new grade has been officially received and recorded by the Office of Records and Registration. It is the studentâ€™s responsibility to notify UALRâ€™s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid when the grade change has been completed.
- Minimum Grade Point Average. The cumulative UALR Grade Point Average (GPA) will be reviewed. NOTE: Developmental classes are not computed into the studentâ€™s GPA. Minimum UALR Cumulative GPA by level:
Undergraduate or Law – 2.00
Graduate – 3.00
- Maximum Time Frame. By law, a school must establish a maximum time frame in which a student is expected to finish a program. The number of hours depends on academic level:
Undergraduate – 180 attempted hours
Graduate – 90 attempted hours
Law – 120 attempted hours
Automatic SAP Cancellation
Students completing a semester with a 0.0 grade point average are not making satisfactory progress. This includes students who withdraw from the term, as well as students who remain enrolled, but do not successfully complete any hours (grades of all F, W, NC, I and/or MG). The student will be canceled from all further aid at UALR. There is no provision for probationary status in this circumstance. No additional financial aid will be awarded until the student has satisfactorily completed at least 9 hours at UALR and achieved the minimum required GPA. The student must notify the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid when the requirements for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility have been completed.
Students who are academically suspended from the University are automatically placed on an SAP Cancellation status. When the student is eligible to return to UALR, the student must submit a written request for a review of his or her financial aid file to UALR Admissions and Financial Aid. A written response will be mailed in approximately one month.
SAP Appeal Procedure
Students who are placed on SAP Cancellation and have experienced extenuating circumstances may file a written appeal with the UALR Financial Aid Committee:
- If financial aid was cancelled after the fall semester, the appeal must be submitted by January 10.
- If financial aid was cancelled after the spring semester, the appeal must be submitted by June 1.
- If financial aid was cancelled after the summer semester, the appeal must be submitted by September 1.
The Appeals Committee decision is final.
If you would like to appeal your financial aid status complete the SAP Appeal Form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
A student who completes at least one hour of coursework for the semester, will be given three semesters to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress before all UALR financial aid will be cancelled as long as the maximum timeframe is not exceeded (see number 3 above).
- A student who does not complete 75% of coursework with the required GPA will be placed on SAP Probation for the next semester of enrollment at UALR.
- A student on SAP Probation who fails to complete 75% of attempted coursework with the required GPA at the end of the probation semester, will be placed on SAP Conditional Probation for the next semester. Students must attend an SAP workshop during the next semester, to reinforce good academic and financial skills.
- A student on SAP Conditional Probation status who fails to successfully complete ALL attempted hours for the semester with a grade of â€śCâ€ť or better in each course (no exceptions) will be placed on SAP Cancellation and will have all future aid cancelled at UALR. No financial aid will be awarded until the student has satisfactorily completed at least nine hours at UALR and achieved the minimum required GPA. The student must notify the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid when the requirements for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility have been completed. SAP Cancellation also applies to students who have exceeded the maximum time frame.
Source: UALR Financial Aid Website
Approved By: Existing Policy
Custodian: Admissions and Financial Aid