|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Funds Solicitation by Registered Student Organizations|
|Policy Number: 504.4|
|Effective Date: April 1, 2010 (review date)|
Solicitation activities shall be defined as donations without products or services being rendered or as raising funds through direct sale of merchandise or services for the benefit of non-university charitable organizations.
Registered student organizations (RSOs) desiring to solicit funds for non-university charitable organizations which they deem worthy of support do so subject to the following restrictions:
- All charities will be required to certify their existence to the satisfaction of the University.
- All solicitation activities, on campus or off, must comply with University policies and federal, state, and local laws.
- All solicitation activities must be registered and approved in advance in Office of Campus Life (OCL).
- Fund-raising projects for philanthropic purposes must be directed to nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations and not made directly available to individuals.
- Refer to Fund Raising Policies by Registered Student Organizations (Non-Charitable Activities).
Within the parameters established herein, RSOs may sell materials related to the purpose of the organization and may collect dues, initiation fees, donations, and admission charges for their activities. All funds raised are to be used for the ongoing support of these non-charitable activities.
Fundraising activities are subject to the following restrictions:
- All fundraising activities must be scheduled and approved at least one (1) week in advance by the OCL.
- In addition, if the activity is held in the DSC, it must be scheduled in advance with the DSC director or designee.
- All fundraising activities must comply with University policies and federal, state, and local laws.
- A proposed fundraising program of an RSO will not be approved if it is determined that the program is in direct conflict with the ongoing business enterprises of the University.
- No RSO shall have the right to disturb or infringe on the privacy of individuals. Use of University classroom facilities is limited to prevent exploitation of the members of the University community. No room-to-room soliciting will be permitted in University housing. Fundraising door-to-door is prohibited.
- Fund solicitation is limited to RSOs sponsoring or participating in solicitation, either on or off campus. RSOs will assume full responsibility for adherence by participating students to all laws and regulations governing such activities, including financial obligations.
- RSOs or other groups that use University facilities for money-making purposes will use the proceeds only for purposes stated on the fundraising forms and in accordance with the purposes of the RSO.
- The Universityâ€™s name can only be used in accordance with the policies, rules, and regulations as stipulated herein, i.e., regulations governing RSOs and activities.
- Solicitation of funds from merchants, non-university groups, or individuals must be coordinated by the appropriate office and with the Office of Development so that the Universityâ€™s total fund-raising efforts may be coordinated and an overall fund-raising balance maintained.
- Use of University facilities and premises for fundraising activities is permitted only at designated locations under these specified conditions:
- DSC building and mall areas (subject to scheduling) only if the project does not duplicate the services and is not in direct conflict with the ongoing enterprises of the University. Decisions relating to such projects shall be referred to the appropriate official or staff member responsible for the enterprises, e.g., the bookstore manager, dining services manager, etc.
- Request for fundraising activities at locations other than those specifically named above must receive:
- Approval from the Dean of Students for Greek organizations or OCL for other RSOs and
- Approval of the site by the person responsible for the facility or space.
- RSOs will not charge admission, sell tickets, or conduct fundraisers in connection with dances held on campus unless authorized by the Office of the Dean of Students.
Source: UALR Student Handbook 2009
Approved By: Existing Policy
Custodian: Campus Life