Procedures for Cost Recovery for Copies
UALR Administrative Policy 305.2 - Cost Recovery for Copies establishes guidelines to charge reasonable and consistent fees for copies. Copying fees should be based on the actual costs incurred to generate the copies.
UALR organizations and units shall establish a fee based on recovery of actual costs incurred. Actual costs may include but are not limited to the following:
- Equipment Cost Recovery - Incremental cost for use of the copier or printer. Possible methods for determining the cost recovery rate include:
- Chargeback rate for shared copiers.
- Equipment cost allocated over its expected useful life.
- Supplies - The cost of paper, toner, staples or other supplies used.
- Labor - The labor cost for time spent generating the copies.
Deposit of Funds:
UALR organizations and units shall deposit funds at the Cashier’s Office or by other authorized methods. Any fees collected are intended to reimburse the costs incurred. Therefore, the fees shall be deposited using the appropriate Fund, Organization, Account, Program, Activity, and Location (FOAPAL) to which the expenses were charged. The Bursar’s Office should be contacted for assistance in determining the appropriate FOAPAL.
UALR organizations and units that provide copies for a fee shall establish guidelines that address the following, at a minimum:
- Compliance with copyright laws
- Methods to promote responsible copy practices
- Identification of the potential users
- Method of notifying users of fee information
- Fee amount
- Methodology for determining the fee amount
- Procedures for the deposit of funds collected
- FOAPAL to be used for deposits
The guidelines must be approved by the chancellor or his designee. A copy of the approved guidelines should be forwarded to the Bursar’s Office.