Incoming Exchange Students
Thank you for your interest in UALR. We are excited to welcome you as an exchange student for a semester or year. The information below is designed to walk you through the application process and answer some of your question. You will find information on: General Requirements, Application Deadlines, Required Documents, Applying Online, Housing, and Acceptance and Visa Information.
In order to attend UALR as an exchange student, your home institution must either have a formal, bilateral student exchange agreement with our University, or be involved in a consortium agreement which includes UALR. Check with the exchange coordinator at your University’s International Programs Office to determine whether such conditions are met.
If a valid exchange agreement between the two institutions exists, you will need to be nominated by your University to participate in an exchange. Meet with your exchange coordinator to discuss your University’s:
- Requirements for nomination
- Terms and conditions of the exchange
- Selection process and internal deadlines for applying
UALR Application Deadlines
All application materials must be submitted by the following dates to be considered:
- Fall Semester: June 1st
- Spring Semester: October 1st
Requirements at UALR
1) English Language Proficiency: UALR requires that all applicants demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in English. All applicants from countries where English is not the official first language must submit one of the following TOEFL scores:
- A paper-based score of at least 525
- A computer-based score of at least 197, plus a 4 on the TOEFL Writing Exam (TWE)
- An internet-based score of at least 71
The TOEFL score must be obtained within two years prior to application to UALR. Participants who do not meet the TOEFL standard are not eligible to participate in the Exchange. Other approved proficiency tests may be accepted at the discretion of the university.
2) Financial Requirements: As an exchange program participant, you will not have to pay UALR’s registration fees or tuition. However, you are required to submit a financial statement verifying that you have at least $6,200 for one academic semester, or $12,400 available for one academic year (two semesters) to cover the following estimated costs:
- Books & Supplies: $600 per semester
- Health Insurance (is required): $600 per semester
- Housing: $3,000 per semester
- Personal Expenses: $2,000 per semester
Additional Documents: Once your University’s International Programs Office approves you as a candidate for exchange, they must send us a packet including the following :
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your University-level academic transcript(s)
- A letter from your University stating that you are currently a student in good academic standing
- A copy of your immunization record, or a signed and dated Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine form
- A completed housing application for East Hall or University Commons Apartments
- Health Insurance is required to attend UALR: You must provide proof of insurance or you can purchase UALR insurance at $611 per semester. Print and sign the attached forms: J Visa Insurance Compliance Form and Proof of International Insurance Form
After talking with the International Office at your home institution, the next step to applying to be an exchange student at UALR is to complete the online application. Please click here for instructions on how to complete this process.
Acceptance and Visa Information
Once you have completed your online application and all required documents have been received by the UALR Office of International Services, we will process and mail you your visa document (DS 2019) that you will need to apply for your student (Exchange Visitor) visa.