Planning your study abroad experience can be exciting and overwhelming. Luckily, there are many people here on campus who would like to help you. Follow the steps below to begin planning your study abroad program.
Ten Steps to Studying Abroad
- Step 1: READ THE STUDY ABROAD HANDBOOK - The handbook is designed as a tool to help you get started on the process of selecting and applying for a study abroad program
- Step 2: ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION - Study Abroad Information Sessions are held weekly during the Fall and Spring Semesters in Programs Abroad (ED 101). - Please come to the Programs Abroad office to sign up for a session.
- Step 3: DEFINE YOUR GOALS FOR STUDYING ABROAD - Use the worksheet on page 5 of the Study Abroad Handbook to help you define your academic and personal goals for studying abroad. What do you hope to achieve by studying abroad?
- Step 4: RESEARCH YOUR PROGRAM - Once you have defined your goals and narrowed down your country and program choices, research information about your chosen destination, talk with program alumni and/or international students from that area.
- Step 5: MEET WITH YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISOR - Discuss how your proposed study abroad coursework will fit with your UALR degree requirements. Make a plan for graduation that includes Study Abroad
- Step 6: MEET WITH YOUR FINANCIAL AID ADVISOR to determine the amount of aid available for the semester you intend to study abroad.
- Step 7: MEET WITH THE PROGRAMS ABROAD COORDINATOR - Once you have determined what country and program you are interested in, make an appointment.
- Step 8: BUILD YOUR BUDGET, RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS - A budget worksheet is included in the Study Abroad Handbook for your use. Be sure to be aware of scholarship deadlines.
- Step 9: APPLY - Be sure you have the application and all necessary documents completed by the deadline.
- Step 10: PREPARE - Mark your calendar for Pre-Departure Orientation! Visit travel.state.gov for entry and exit requirements for your destination.
Want to find out more? Click here.
International Students: if you are an international student who is interested in applying to study at UALR, please click here.
Applications must be turned into the Office of International Services (Education Building 101) by the following dates:
- Spring Programs: September 15th
- Summer Programs: February 15th
- Fall Programs: March 15th