Applying for a Passport
Whether or not you are considering studying abroad, getting a passport is an important step to take in our global economy. A Passport is valid for ten years and is needed to fly to every other country in the world. We STRONGLY encourage you to apply for a passport. You never know where the world may take you.
A passport is required for everyone traveling out of the country. Many times this can be a time consuming process, so taking care of this early on in your travel preparations is the best idea. Keep in mind that all students studying outside of the U.S. will need to have a passport before departure and a copy of your passport will be needed in the UALR Office of International Services.
Steps to Getting Your Passport
To begin the application process for first time adult applicants you should:
1) DOWNLOAD AND COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM:
- The application can be found on the following website: www.travel.state.gov
- Click on Passports and then First-Time Adult Applicants
2) GET YOUR PASSPORT PICTURES TAKEN.
- Passport Pictures can be taken at Walgreens (across the street from campus) and/or at the Main Post Office (600 E. Capitol Ave., Little Rock) when you drop off your Passport Application. When you take your pictures, remember not to wear sunglasses or a hat – and do not smile.
3) GATHER THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
- Completed Passport Application – NOT SIGNED
- Passport Pictures
- Your certified birth certificate and one photo copy– if you were born in Pulaski county you may get a copy of this at the County Health Department in Little Rock, otherwise you must contact the county you were born in.
- Your Valid Driver’s License and one photo copy
- Your checkbook, debit card, or cash to pay the fee
4) TAKE YOUR PASSPORT APPLICATION AND OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO A PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE FACILITY.
- The closest Passport Acceptance Facility is the Main Post Office in Little Rock. The address is 600 E. Capitol Ave., Little Rock, AR. Passports are accepted from 8am to 4pm (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri) and 8am to 3pm (Thurs) – the office is closed for lunch from 11:30am to 12:30pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Do I need to get a Passport Book and Card?
- You will need a Passport Book to travel by air to all countries.
- You DO NOT need a passport card. Passport cards are designed for individuals who drive across the border to Canada or Mexico on a regular basis.
2) How much is the application fee?
- The current cost for an Adult Passport Book is application fee $110 plus execution fee $25 = US $135*. Rate is subject to change. You may find the most up to date rates on the website www.travel.state.gov.
Make several photocopies of your passport. Give one to the Office of International Services for your file, leave a copy at home with your family, and carry a copy with you at all times when you are overseas. Be sure to keep an additional copy with your belongings. If you should lose your passport, the copies may speed up the process of replacing it. If this happens, immediately notify the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.