Do I need to be advised every semester?

Yes, for two reasons. One, we want to make sure you are apprised of any opportunities that might be available for research, scholarships, graduate assistantships, etc. Secondly, this helps us know which classes you plan to take and when so we can provide instructional resources as necessary. Regardless, priority advising and registration is given to M.A.P. students.

If I know what courses I need, can’t I just advise myself? 

Not exactly. Some classes are offered once a year, once every 3 semesters, etc. We need to make certain that you get into those classes when they are offered so that you are not delayed.

Can I take courses that are not part of my official degree plan?

Absolutely! It is even possible to make substitutions to your degree plan if there is a course that is very relevant. Otherwise, you may choose to take courses in the College of Business, the College of Education and Health Professions, College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences, or the College of Engineering and Information Technology provided you have met the pre-requisites or have instructor approval.

I made ‘A’s’ in my undergraduate statistics courses, do I really need to take another statistics course?

Yes. One of the distinguishing characteristics of an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist is their ability to analyze data for trends and to predict performance. More than that, you must be able to interpret findings within the context of the theoretical content of Industrial-Organizational theory.

What is a Graduate Assistantship and how can I get one?

A graduate assistantship is a 10-hour/week or 20-hour/week position within the department in exchange for a stipend and a full or partial tuition scholarship. GA’s are identified as Teaching Assistants or Research Assistants. TA’s are assigned to specific courses and support the instructor in all areas of the course. RA’s are assigned to the program and are contracted onto specific research initiatives. To qualify for a GA, you must be admitted into the program. In addition to GA positions in the department, there are several positions across campus in other academic and non-academic departments. The graduate coordinator can help you find a position that fits your skills and interest. If you are in a part-time (10 hours/week) GA position, you must be enrolled in at least 6 graduate hours; full-time positions (20 hours/week) requires you to be enrolled in at least 9 hours. Exceptions to these hour requirements can be made for students in their final semester who are lacking only thesis.  Please refer to the UA Little Rock Graduate Student Handbook for more information about assistantships.

If you know you are interested in a position for the following academic year, please send a letter of interest detailing the type of position you are interested and any teaching or research interests you may have to the graduate coordinator.

If I don’t get a Graduate Assistantship or don’t qualify because I have outside employment, are there other funding opportunities?

Yes. We offer private scholarships through the department through the Marie Wilson Howell’s fund. Applications are due by March 15th for the following academic year through the UALR Private Scholarship website.