The MA in Professional and Technical Writing at UALR is the only master’s program of its kind in the state of Arkansas. We offer a wide variety of courses that focus on
- writing for business, government, and nonprofit organizations
- professional editing in workplace and academic contexts
- teaching writing at all levels of education, both in person and online
- writing works of creative nonfiction for publication and personal enrichment
If you want to strengthen your professionalism as a writer, editor, or teacher, are considering a career change, or want to explore writing as a form of personal growth, our program is the place for you.
Our MA program is highly flexible, catering to the needs of both full-time students and full-time working professionals. We offer daytime courses, night courses, and online courses — and the entire program can be completed online for those who need that option. We also offer two different ways to complete the degree: a 36-hour thesis option or a 42-hour portfolio option. Most students complete the program in roughly 2.5 years, although the time required may be shorter or longer depending on how many courses a student takes each semester.
We welcome applicants from any academic discipline or profession who have the aptitude and interest necessary for success in our graduate program. The quality of an applicant’s writing samples is the most important factor in our admission decisions. We do not require applicants to have extensive prior coursework in writing (although such coursework can be helpful), nor do we require GRE scores for admission.
For more information about the program and the application process:
- Applying to UALR’s MA program in Professional and Technical Writing
- Overview of the Professional and Technical Writing graduate curriculum
- Financing your graduate studies at UALR
- Profiles of alumni and how they use skills learned in the MA program in their careers