Special Admission

Graduate students are not required to be fully admitted to our MA program before taking graduate-level courses with us.  If you apply for “special” admission status with UALR’s Graduate School (also known as “non-degree-seeking”) and are accepted, you may then take up to 9 hours of coursework in Professional and Technical Writing.  Should you wish to take more than those 9 hours, you must then apply for regular admission to the program.

You should consider applying for admission as a non-degree-seeking graduate student if one or more of these circumstances applies to you:

  1. You don’t need financial aid in order to begin taking courses.  Only students who are fully admitted to a graduate program are eligible for teaching assistantships, research or administrative assistantships, graduate scholarships, or federal aid.
  2. You need more time to compile your departmental application materials (cover letter, resume, writing samples, and letter of recommendation), but you want to begin coursework right away.  It’s quick and easy to apply for admission as a special status student; you will be accepted as long as you have a bachelor’s degree and a GPA of 2.7 or above.  Your acceptance can be processed in just a few short days, so you can quickly be advised and register for courses.
  3. You aren’t sure you’re ready to commit to the MA program, so you’d like to try a few courses before applying for full admisssion.
  4. It’s been several years since you were last in school, and you don’t have many current writing samples or people who know your writing well enough to write letters of recommendation for you.  Special admission allows you to develop graduate-level writing samples, make a good impression on professors who might recommend you, and begin taking classes that can be applied to your MA requirements if you decide to seek full admission.

To apply as a non-degree-seeking student, fill out the UALR Graduate School application.  When you reach the page that asks if you plan to complete a degree at UALR, select “No,” and do not choose a graduate program from the drop-down menu that immediately follows.

If you later decide that you would like to apply for admission to the MA program, you will need to reapply as a degree-seeking student. At that time, you will need to submit the departmental application materials required of all our regular applicants.  Courses that you completed while non-degree-seeking will count toward your MA requirements, so you will not need to retake those credit hours.

If you are planning to apply as a non-degree-seeking student, it’s a good idea to meet with the PTW graduate coordinator to discuss your educational goals and the courses that would be most appropriate for meeting those goals.  Email Dr. Kuralt at kmkuralt@ualr.edu to arrange an appointment.