Skip to the page content Skip to primary navigation Skip to the search form Skip to the audience-based navigation Skip to the site tools and log-in Information about website accessibility

Sequoyah Research Center

Journal of S.T. Cross — Choctaw Removal, 1832

Journal of Occurrences

Novr. 12th  – Arrived at Rock Roe on White River at 12 o’clock landed Indians and baggage from the Henry Hill, and Archimedies – two deaths by Cholera reported to Major Langham Asst. Supt. &c.

Novr. 13th – Issued rations to Indians for three days ending 15th. two deaths by Cholera – detailed 13 wagons for my detachment also an order from Langham to call into Service two U.S. Wagons to transport the sick with cholera &c. until we met the ponies belonging to the Indians making 15 teams in service to transport the baggage – sick &c.

Novr. 14th – Organized the party for the march, and at 2 o’clock p.m. left Rock Roe with the detachment travelled four miles and encamped the road, the road very bad three deaths reported (by Cholera). 

Novr. 15th – Left camp early in the morning travelled 10 miles on the road being bad in the Prarie – encamped at night at Au Grue this morning the two U.S. teams came up and took in the sick, at least a part, one death reported.

Novr. 16th – Left Au Grue and travelled 14 miles and encamped in the large Prarie – Issued rations and forage for two days, by noon – left camp travelled 18 miles, that night rained very hard, all night, one death reported.

Nov. 17th – Left camp travelled 18 miles, that night rained very hard, all night, one death reported.

Novr. 18th – Raining very hard left camp and traveled 15 miles arrived at the Arkansas River, the weather cold and wet - two deaths reported.

Novr. 19th – Issued rations and forage and commenced crossing the Arkansas River.

Novr. 20th – Completed crossing the River and took up the line of march late in the evening – travelled three miles and encamped some of the Indian wagons remained at Little Rock to get repaired.

Novr. 21th – Left camp and traveled ten miles –

Novr. 22th – Left camp and travelled 11 miles where we drew provisions and forage for two days – one death reported.

Novr. 23th – Left camp and travelled 12 miles crossing Saline creek – but few cases of sickness.

Novr. 24th – Arrived at camp this morning Lt. Van Horn who reports loosing a good many Indian horses in the swamp.  He returned to Little Rock to report to Major Armstrong, but I should like to have seen the horses that was living brought up to our aid and new provision &c. - and made a good days march.

Novr. 25th – A few of the horses came up and discharged the two U.S. Wagons and directed them to Little Rock having them in service only 13 teams to transport baggage, sick, &c travelled 10 miles.

Novr. 26th – Left camps, and travelled 16 miles and encamped - drew provisions and forage for two days. Three death reported.  Some horses came up today.

Novr. 27th – Left camp early increase of sickness – crossed the Cado Some Indians crossed in the wagons and some ferried, travelled 16 miles.

Novr. 28th – Left camp early and travelled 13 miles - drew forage and provisions – sent back to bring up the Indian’s wagons and immigrants, which was in our rear – one death reported.

Novr. 29th – Pursued our march, and travelled 13 miles, one death reported.

Novr. 30th – Started early traveled 14 miles crossed the Little Missouri and encamped drew provisions and forage - Indian wagons all got up.

Decr. 1st – Again on our march, travelled 10 miles a very wet day – emcamped for the night.

Decr. 2nd – Started from camp travelled 9 miles - encamped drew provisions and forage – sickness much abated.

Decr. 3rd – Left camp early travelled 9 miles encamped at Mine Creek to let the Indians dry their blankets and clothing which had got wet on the first, 2nd &c.

Decr. 4th – Started on our march, made a good days march, the roads being in good order drew provision and forage.

Decr. 5th – Left camp travelled 14 miles crossing the Cossatott, and encamped, one death today.

Decr. 6th – Left camp early in the morning arrived at Little River – ferried over a part of the detachment drew provision and forage.

Decr. 7th – Completed Ferrying across the Indians, horses, and wagons, travelled 6 miles, and encamped at the Choctaw line.

Decr. 8th – Entered the Choctaw country, traveled 18 miles, encamped at McCann’s – drew forage and provision for two days.

Decr. 9th – This morning some of the immigrants stopped at this farm, intending to settle near it discharged four wagons from the service.  Travelled 13 miles – and encamped 

Decr. 10th – Left camp – travelled 12 miles, was met by 300 Indians to welcome their friends to their new country.  They accompanied the party to Clear Creek where we encamped drew provision and forage for two days – all in good health.

Decr. 11th – Left camp and travelled to the place of reservation, in the vicinity of Fort Towson, at which place the nine wagons now in service, was discharged and returned. The health of the Indians belonging to this detachment being good.  Remained there during 12th, 13th, 14th, and 15th.  The Indians during that time requested – and drew provisions and then dispersed to select a home.

The above being a brief sketch of occurrences during the march from Rock Roe to Fort Towson is respectfully submitted to the Department.


S.T. Cross

Asst. Agent

Ch. Removal 

Source: National Archives Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Letters Received, Choctaw Immigration, 1833. 

Updated 12.17.2009