Skip to the page content Skip to primary navigation Skip to the search form Skip to the audience-based navigation Skip to the site tools and log-in Information about website accessibility

Sequoyah Research Center

Mouth of Cache, Arkansas

Mouth of Cache was known for years as the 640 acres, now where Clarendon, Arkansas, sits. In 1827, a ferry was established there by Sylvanus Phillips.

Source: Jo Claire English, Pages from the Past: Historical notes on Clarendon, Monroe County and Early Arkansas. Clarendon, AR 1976. p.15.


The new road that was laid out from St. Francis in 1827 probably entered Monroe County near present Zent and curved south and entered the 640 acres along the approximate route of the present Military Road (Highway 302), northwest from Clarendon.

Source: Jo Claire English, Pages from the Past: Historical notes on Clarendon, Monroe County and Early Arkansas. Clarendon, AR 1976. p.21.


The first steamboat to reach it was the Waverly, under Captain Pennywit, who went as far as Batesville, Arkansas, in 1830.

Source: Jo Claire English, Pages from the Past: Historical notes on Clarendon, Monroe County and Early Arkansas. Clarendon, AR 1976. p.16.


John Burriss bought the 640 acres in 1833 from Eli Lewis, the third owner.

Source: Jo Claire English, Pages from the Past: Historical notes on Clarendon, Monroe County and Early Arkansas. Clarendon, AR 1976. p.38.


Burriss replaced John Maddox as post master.

Source
: Arkansas Gazette, September 4, 1833.


In 1835, George W. Feribee became the 5th owner , and operated the ferry across the river until his death in 1838, after which it was operated by his estate.

Source: Jo Claire English, Pages from the Past: Historical notes on Clarendon, Monroe County and Early Arkansas. Clarendon, AR 1976. p.48.


Updated 11.2.2010