The Sequoyah National Research Center (SNRC) at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) seeks a skilled, innovative, and knowledgeable professional for a one-year temporary appointment as Project Archivist.With direction from the SNRC Archivist, the Project Archivist will be responsible for processing and creating finding aids for the Garrard Ardeneum Collection, a large collection of mixed formats (100 cubic feet). This is a full-time, grant-funded, one-year appointment beginning August 1, 2015.
The Project Archivist employs archival standards and best practices to survey, arrange, describe and preserve this collection. The Project Archivist is responsible for creating DACS-compliant finding aids for this collection in CuadraSTAR.
During the course of the year, the Project Archivist will work together with the SNRC Archivist and a graduate intern from the UALR’s Public History Program.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Surveys Garrard Ardeneum Collection and plans a processing strategy with SNRC Archivist.
- Arranges, describes, preserves and makes accessible the Garrard Ardeneum Colleciton according to archival standards and best practices.
- Creates catalog record and detailed finding aid for collection using CuadraSTAR according to Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated experience working with manuscripts, photographs, and other material in a special collections and archives environment.
- Knowledge of and experience with preservation standards and procedures for archival materials.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in groups.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution with emphasis in archival studies.
- At least one year of professional archival processing experience.
- Experience with CuadraSTAR.
- Demonstrated experience processing a large collection.
- Demonstrated work experience in American Indian/Alaska Native archives and special collections.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of three references to Erin Fehr at email@example.com or Dr. Daniel Littlefield at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through June 30, 2015.