Kindergarten – 8th Grade:
Students in grades K-8 during the current school year (2016-2017) may apply.
Kindergarten students must be able to:
- read full sentences and understand the meaning,
- recognize double digit numbers,
- show an interest in learning, and
- follow instructions, stay in their seat, and not talk out constantly are important qualities looked for at this age.
Students must demonstrate:
- Ability to succeed in a course that is 1 to 2 grade levels above current grade
- High interest in the area in which the course is offered
- Strong desire to learn
To place students, we look for the majority of the following:
- Scores at or above the 80th percentile in one major area of an achievement test
- Acceptance to a school gifted program
- Recommendation of a teacher to participate in a program for high ability students
- Score of 120 or above on an IQ test(Submit only if previously tested. Do not test specifically for SLUFY acceptance.)