UALR SOWK BSW Student Margaret Hoskin volunteers at Barnabas House’s Monster Dash

UALR Volunteer Margaret Hoskin helps with Barnabas House’s “Monster Dash”

Reported by: Melissa Schroeder, KARK 4 News
Monday, 14 October 2013
This footage is provided courtesy of KARK 4, Little Rock, AR.

“LITTLE ROCK, AR —  Social work students at University of Arkansas-Little Rock go beyond the books to get real-life experience.  And one woman took her “assignment” to a whole new level.  The work done inside Barnabas House in Little Rock is what motivated UALR student Margaret Hoskin to do more.
“I really feel like when you’re led to do something, you do it,” she said.  Barnabas House is a social work and counseling center for the working poor.  Hoskin came here as part of an assignment.
She says she needed 20 service hours to be accepted into the Social Work Bachelor’s program at UALR.
She expected her time there to be a great learning experience, and what Hoskin didn’t expect, was how much she would love it.  “My heart, after serving my 20 hours of service, it stayed here,” she said.
In addition to all her volunteer work, this past weekend Hoskin organized a fundraiser run for Barnabas House.  “Maybe my professor will give me some extra credit for that,” she joked.
If you would like to learn more about the Barnabas House and how you can help, call 501-663-3136 or email barnabashouse@att.net.”

Posted in: News Articles