Gainful Employment Disclosure
Federal regulations require UALR to disclose specific information about any non-degree program that is approved for Title IV federal financial aid. Currently, this certificate is eligible for federal financial aid. Find out more »
The Graduate Certificate is designed to provide professionals with knowledge of the biological, sociological, and psychological aspects of the aging process as well as an understanding of the social policies and services that respond to the needs of the older adult.
The certificate requires 12 core credit hours in gerontology and an additional 6 hours of elective credit for a total of 18 credit hours.
The core courses are:
- SOWK/GERO/SOCI 5310 – Social Gerontology
- SOWK/GERO 7320 – Health and Biology of Aging
- SOWK/GERO 7321 – Aging and Social Policy
- GERO 7322 -Assessment and Care Management of Older Adults (Optional for MSW Students)
Approved electives are as follows (students interested in other courses should consult with the coordinator for approval):
- GERO 5315: Interdisciplinary Health Care of the Elderly
- SOWK/GERO 5337: Adult Development and Aging
- SOWK/GERO 5336: Social Aspects of Death and Dying
- SOWK/GERO 7323: Social and Emotional Implications of Illness and Disabilities
- SOWK 5330: Animal Assisted Therapy
Also see the Gerontology Program Coordinator for other approved electives.
The certificate may be completed in conjunction with the MSW or another graduate degree. Students already enrolled in another graduate program should also apply to the gerontology certificate program. MSW students may use the courses taken in the certificate program for their required electives. Students in other graduate programs will need to submit the courses for acceptance as electives to their departments.
Students not in a graduate program but wishing to obtain a certificate must be accepted into the UALR graduate school and select the gerontology certificate as their program of choice. Once accepted, students must maintain a 3.0 GPA to remain in the program.