The Communication Skill Center (CSC) in the Department of Speech Communication helps take the panic out of public speaking! The CSC is a free student resource devoted to helping with all stages of the speech creation process. Our services include, but are not limited to: managing anxiety, brainstorming topics, conducting research, organizing content, adapting messages to audiences, designing and integrating effective presentational aids such as PowerPoint and Prezi, as well as one-on-one video coaching. Stop by the CSC and leave a more comfortable, confident speaker! Appointments are available and walk-ins are welcome. Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UALRCommSkillCenter/timeline
If you think the CSC is the place for you, check out our undergraduate and graduate internship qualifications:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Microsoft Word & PowerPoint proficiency
- B or better in SPCH 1300 (or equivalent)
- B or better in an additional speech communication course (ideally SPCH 3320: Advanced Public Speaking)
- B or better in SPCH 7352: Organizational Communication Training (or comparable pedagogy course)
- Required one-day orientation session the Friday before classes start each semester
- 6 hours a week scheduled in the CSC assisting students, faculty, campus, and the community
- All staff: Friday noon to 1pm weekly training meeting
- Graduate staff: Friday 1 to 2pm weekly staff meeting
- Assigned course work
- End-of-semester portfolio evaluation
- May fulfill 3 upper-level elective credit hours for your Speech major or minor, or upper level elective.
- Internship is repeatable for an additional three credit hours to fulfill upper-level electives required for graduation.
Why be an intern? Here’s what some of the CSC interns had to say:
- It’s a great experience to add to your résumé.
- You will gain the professional experience required in corporate America while working for the CSC.
- Through the internship you develop invaluable relationships with staff, faculty, and fellow students.
- You can expand on your strengths and improve on your weaknesses.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, please complete the Internship Application Form