Kaltura Video Streaming Services
Kaltura is a new Blackboard plug-in that enables you with the options to upload, create, and manage video and audio content from the convenience of your home, work, or anywhere you can access your course.
Yes, thatâ€™s right! With Kalturaâ€™s rich-media management system you can now easily manage your media content directly. Kaltura encodes and streams most common file formats for video, audio, graphics, and documents and allow students to take advantage most of their mobile devices to access course content.
What About Flash Streaming Services Media
With the adoption of Kaltura, we will be phasing out the Flash Media Server but will continue to use it for a period of time as an archive. All new video and audio content will be placed on Kaltura for encoding and distribution.
Current Flash Media, of course, video and audio files will still be available in your courses, but as files are updated or close caption requests are made these files will be transferred to Kaltura.
Kaltura has an intuitive interface that is accessible from your course wherever you can access the Build Content tab. You can:
- Browse to your computer and directly upload media files
- Create webcam videos
- Launch screen capture
- Manage file information, attachments, and permission settings
- Edit and repurpose video and audio content
- Create playlist, categories, and channels
- Search video options and so much more
Imagine the possibilities! Kaltura empowers you to create and manage content at your convenience.
Kaltura training will be available throughout the semester, please visit the STaR website for more on this and other training schedules and support information.
Kaltura Media Tutorials:
- Upload Media – upload files from your computer
- Webcam â€“ create a video with your computerâ€™s webcam
- Screen Capture â€“ capture your computer screen, great for animated slide presentation
- Browser Security Settings for the Java Applet – “Allows” screen capture access
- Media Module Galleries - Media management options for students and instructors
- Move File â€“ from the Content folder
And be sure to visit the Blackboard â€śHelpâ€ť tab for tutorials on Kaltura and other Blackboard topics.
Blackboard and Kaltura Support
STaR only supports plug-ins adopted for use in Blackboard, including Kaltura for streaming media.
Should you choose a streaming service outside of Kaltura, be sure you have access to tech support.
Alternatives media options include Kaltura Media and Blackboard Collaborate.
Upload, Webcam, or Screen Capture, please see the Kaltura Media tutorials listed above.
- Collaborate Tour
- Collaborate Virtual Classroom Permissions
- Collaborate Application Tools
- Collaborate Just for Moderators
- Collaborate Best Practices
Consumer Camera Considerations
Video Recording â€“ For faculty who record with consumer video cameras be sure to avoid using cameras that use tape. Â Most of these cameras will probably require manufacturer software and plug-ins to convert files to a digital format and you may find this a timely and challenging process.
Please contact Merlene Love, 569-8954, firstname.lastname@example.org should you need assistance.