Graduate School Information
If you plan to attend graduate school and want assistance with preparing for the GRE, GMAT or MAT, please call 569-3052 as soon as possible.
The GRE® General Test is your gateway to graduate programs and an essential early step along your career path.
Graduate programs and business schools use GRE® scores to evaluate your readiness for graduate-level work. The GRE General Test measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills that are not related to any specific field of study.
- Analytical Writing — Measures critical thinking and analytical writing skills, specifically the test taker’s ability to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively
- Verbal Reasoning — Measures reading comprehension skills and verbal and analogical reasoning skills, focusing on the test taker’s ability to analyze and evaluate written material
- Quantitative Reasoning — Measures problem-solving ability, focusing on basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis
- The MAT is a high-level mental ability test requiring the solution of problems stated as analogies.
- Research by psychologists on human intelligence and reasoning has found performance on analogies to represent one of the best measures of verbal comprehension and analytical thinking.
- Performance on the MAT is designed to reflect candidates’ analytical thinking, an ability that is critical for success in both graduate school and professional life.
- Through analogies with content from various academic subjects, MAT scores help graduate schools identify candidates whose knowledge and abilities go beyond mere memorizing and repeating information.
- The analytical skills measured by the MAT are key to success in graduate school and are highly valued by graduate programs.
- For more than 50 years, the MAT has proven to be a reliable and valid test for assessing candidates for graduate school.
- Predictive validity studies conducted by Pearson and by independent researchers have shown positive correlations between MAT scores and subsequent success in graduate programs.
- The GMAT exam is a standardized assessment, delivered in English, that helps business schools assess the qualifications of applicants for advanced study in business and management.
- By taking the GMAT exam, you have a better chance of being targeted by business schools that are a good match for you—and learning more about their programs and admissions processes. You can help them find you by creating an mba.com profile and opting in to being contacted by schools.
- Schools use the test as one predictor of academic performance in an MBA program or in other graduate management programs.