Amy Starnes – Financial Analyst

Amy Starnes wanted a career in finance, but esoteric lectures and textbooks at her previous college just weren’t cutting it for her. She wanted a hands-on, real-world education. She started looking for an opportunity to transfer.

After meeting Dr. Andy Terry, chair of UALR’s Department of Finance in the College of Business, Starnes said she found exactly what she needed.

“Everything clicked in class, especially because they were teaching exactly as you would see it in the real world. It is a one of a kind program, definitely,” said Starnes, a 2011 graduate with a degree in finance and an emphasis in financial planning.

She now is a financial analyst at CenterPoint Energy. She began her post-college career as an associate financial representative with Northwestern Mutual, helping clients identify their financial security needs and focusing on solutions that can make their goals a reality.

“My classes at UALR prepared me perfectly. The College of Business is unique here. It’s very flexible,” she said. “It allows you to get experience but also get a great education in your classes, and all the professors have real-world experience. I was able to work full time and go to school, which allowed me to boost my resume at graduation.”

She was selected to enroll in the Equity Analysis class, where undergraduate and graduate students manage an actual stock portfolio. The team researches potential investments, selects purchases, and presents its selections to the professor, the College of Business’ advisory board, and to trading professionals at Stephens Inc.

“The class partners with Stephens Financial downtown, and you get to tour their trading floor, see their research floor, everything,” she said. “I would never have gotten actual manage portfolio experience without UALR’s College of Business.”

Q&A with Amy

What was your favorite class? Applied Equity Analysis

What is your favorite UALR memory? Besides graduation, I enjoyed touring Stephens Financial through the Applied Equity Analysis class

What is your hands-down favorite meal? Teriyaki Chicken and fried rice

What one word would you use to describe yourself? Passionate

Posted in: College of Business, Grads@Work
Read more about: