Angela Thomas – Editor

Angela ThomasIn 2000, Angela Thomas had been a stay-at-home mom for six years. On the week her youngest went off to kindergarten, she decided she was going to have too much time on her hands.

“I came to the UALR campus, took tests to figure out what classes I needed to take, and that next Monday I was sitting in my first college class,” she said.

“I took a ‘Mass Media and Society’ class with (Associate Professor) Sonny Rhodes, and he was just so passionate and excited about the media and journalism,” she said. “It inspired me and I made a decision in that week that I was going to pursue journalism.”

Rhodes, a former newspaper reporter and editor, encouraged her to start practicing her newly found passion by seeking a position on the UALR student newspaper, The Forum. She got on-the-job training as its editor-in-chief for two years.

“Getting involved in campus activities makes all the difference in the world,” said Thomas, who also served as an orientation leader. “Whether it is a Greek organization, an organization that has something to do with your major, or student life, you get to really embrace the college experience, and learn more about yourself.”

After earning a degree in journalism, Thomas pursued a master’s degree. Just before graduation, she was hired for what was supposed to be a temporary internship at AY Magazine.

“I was supposed to be there for six weeks, and it’s been seven years,” said Thomas, now the editor of the lifestyle news magazine.

Posted in: College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, News
Read more about: ,