Brandon Scucchi – Business intelligence analyst

If not for baseball, Brandon Scucchi might not have furthered his education. If not for UALR, he might not have found the perfect career fit.

A self-described typical boy from a blue-collar family, Scucchi grew up in small-town Arkansas, far from Little Rock. Family and sports loomed large in his life, and he originally had his sights set on being a professional baseball player. He was recruited to play at the college level, and began college at UALR to play baseball.

After a semester, he left to be closer to home, but then transferred back to UALR to concentrate on his education.

“For those of us who grow up in small towns, you are somewhat sheltered to what the world has to offer,” he said. “In my case if it wasn’t for baseball, I am not sure if I would have attended college.”

Scucchi said family and friends would always come to him to talk out their problems, so he decided to major in psychology because he loved to help others. Upon graduation in 2004, he entered the field. But after a few years he realized he wasn’t truly passionate about the career path.

So Scucchi returned to UALR for a graduate degree, this time in the technology field.

“Honestly, it was one of the best choices that I ever made. Coming back to school with a goal in mind and being an older student in my mid-late 20s, it was easy and actually enjoyable as a student. I am glad I made the choice and set the foundation for the rest of my life.”

Scucchi decided to get a bachelor’s in management information systems in the College of Business.

“I knew I wanted to improve my business skills, while also preparing myself for the advancing technologies,” he said. “During this time, I worked through various entry level IT jobs at Verizon Wireless. As full-time employee and student I sought to gain corporate work experience while I finished my degree.”

While back at UALR this time, Scucchi got involved in student life – he was elected treasurer of the university’s chapter of the Association of Information Technology Professionals.

“I think that going to school is what you make of it, not what it can do for you,” Scucchi insisted. “If you go to class, pass the test, and get your piece of paper that says you meet the requirements did that really help you?”

Scucchi also participated in the Microsoft Imagine Cup, a prestigious competition that brings together the best and brightest student minds to tackle global problems using technology.

Nowadays, Scucchi works at Dillard’s Inc. as a business intelligence architect developing enterprise solutions for the Arkansas-based department store.

I have the privilege to use my MIS degree along with my psychology background,” he said. “In addition, I also get the unique opportunity to enhance user interface and user experience within Enterprise BI and across various java applications.

Looking back, if it wasn’t for UALR I probably would have just settled for a good job that paid the bills. Instead, I chose to reach my goals and improve my education!”

Posted in: College of Business, Grads@Work, News