Alyssa Welch – Recruiter

Alyssa Welch’s interaction with UALR continues more than three years after she graduated, as she is now recruiting UALR grads to work with her at one of the state’s top companies.

At Acxiom Corp., where she has worked for more than a year as recruiting specialist, Welch identifies prospective candidates for the company to hire and coordinates interviews. Her job includes serving as the contact for UALR.

“As a graduate, I am honored to work so closely with faculty and students,” said Welch, who received a bachelor’s in business administration degree in management with an emphasis in human resource management in 2009. “This gives me the opportunity to stay connected and give back to my alma mater.”

The 2006 Homecoming Queen, Welch was a Chancellor’s Leadership Corps scholar and was involved in a number of residence hall and student programming committees, including the Student Government Association.

“My experience at UALR gave me the tools necessary to lead in any academic, professional, or social setting. Both the coursework through the College of Business and my involvement on campus were key in preparing me for the workforce,” she said.

Originally from Mounds, Ill., Welch attended Meridian High School, so she visited colleges in Illinois, Missouri, and Tennessee. During her senior year, she moved to Pine Bluff and graduated from Watson Chapel High School. “During my first visit to UALR in 2005, I was very impressed and excited about the campus and the future of UALR.

“I found out about the CLC scholarship during my tour at UALR. I had a week to apply before the deadline and called the Office of Recruitment every day with questions until I submitted. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Being awarded the CLC scholarship added icing on the cake,” added Welch.

She previously worked in sales at Hewlett-Packard Co. in Conway and as a community advis0r/leasing manager at Place Properties in Little Rock. She also interned at PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLC in St. Louis.

Welch is a member of Central Arkansas Human Resources Association, Arkansas Association of Colleges and Employers, and Society for Human Resource Management.

What was your favorite class? Gender Studies – This class opened my eyes to the differences between males and females in various cultures and how leadership styles are perceived between the two in the workplace.

How do you show your Trojan spirit? By continuously wearing the first Trojan T-Shirt I owned. I bought it during the 2005-2006 season, and we had an AWESOME basketball season. I decided to call it the “lucky shirt.” Now I wear it to every basketball game I attend and refuse to throw it away.

What is your favorite UALR memory? Fall Welcome Weeks – As a freshman, it was my first impression, and every year after that I made sure to be a volunteer. It was very exciting to attend the activities and a great opportunity to meet students and faculty.

Complete this sentence: When I was a child, I always … Wanted to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. In grade school, I attended a community event hosted by members of the organization. It was awesome, and I remember thinking, “I can’t wait until I’m old enough to join.” Also, my favorite teacher and community leader was a member, and she left an outstanding impression on me. Joining the Mu Kappa Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. in 2007 was a dream come true.

What one word would you use to describe yourself? Ambitious.

Posted in: Chancellor's Leadership Corps, College of Business, News
Read more about: ,