Syed Shezan – Data Quality Analyst

syedshezanThe fact that UALR is the only university in the United States that offers a masters program in Information Quality made the decision to study here an easy one for Syed Shezan.

“My interest in data and information quality and IQ framework brought me to UALR,” said Shezan, now a data quality analyst at Williams-Sonoma Inc. in San Francisco.

“I was in the Master of Science in Information Quality program at UALR. I am glad that what I learned during the program I am able to implement into my work.”

For Shezan, the skills he learned in such courses as Principles of Information Quality, Entity Resolution and concepts such as IQ Framework, Dimensions of Data Quality, and Data Governance were most valuable to him.

“I work with them on a daily basis at my new job. My job role includes working in the implementation of Information Quality Frameworks for a large data warehouse and master data management implementation for product and customer data, thus improving the quality of their data and maximizing the value of the organization’s assets,” he said.

“My favorite classes while studying at UALR were many, but Entity Resolution with Dr. John Talburt and Policies and Strategies with Dr. Elizabeth Pierce were my most favorite classes,” he said.

In addition to working hard in class, Shezan had the opportunity to nurture his skills in Information Quality while gaining experience in the workplace.

“While in the masters program at UALR, I got an opportunity to work as an intern at Arkansas Department of Education. I worked on implementing unique identities of their Students Longitudinal Data System using OYSTER Entity Resolution, a tool developed by the UALR MSIQ Department,” said Shezan.

But according to Shezan, it wasn’t all work and no play while he was a student here.

“The university has one of the best recreation areas. We had a wonderful state of art swimming pool, tennis courts, and a high-class gym which provided us immense entertainment during our free time. As soon as I joined UALR, it became my second home and I cannot forget the memories, as I spent most of my time on the campus.”

Shezan is also grateful for the relationships he formed while at UALR.

“I would like to thank the Information Quality faculty, Office of International Services, Graduate School, and all my peers at UALR for nurturing me and providing me immense support and guidance. I am glad to carry these memories forward along with my new career path.”

Posted in: Donaghey College of Engineering and Information Technology, News