Mindy Bissett – GT educator

Mindy BissettMindy Bissett never expected her education journey to take her as far as it has. But thanks to the guidance and support she found at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, she has completed her master’s degree and now plans to pursue her doctorate degree in education.

Bissett, who attended to UALR to be closer to family, now teaches a gifted and talented 4th grade class at College Station Elementary.

“I challenge my students on a daily basis with higher level curriculum and outside-the-box thinking,” Bissett said, adding that her favorite class was Curriculum and Instruction for the Gifted and Talented. “It’s where I learned how to create an amazing curriculum unit.”

She became so good at building a curriculum that she was encouraged by the College of Education faculty to enter  a contest, which she won.

During her time at UALR, Bissett also participated in the Summer Laureate University for Youth, the annual summer camp put on by UALR’s Jodie Mahony Center for Gifted Education. It was Bissett’s first opportunity to work with gifted children.

“I loved attending UALR. It has changed and grown so much over the last 10 years,” Bissett said. “The faculty who helped me attain my master’s degree and beyond were wonderful and very supportive. They have helped me by teaching me the skill set necessary to become an amazing educator.”

Q&A with Mindy

How do you show your Trojan spirit? My family and I all sport UALR tee shirts!

If you could spend one day anywhere, where would it be and why? I would spend a day in the Amazon jungle because I have always been fascinated by the jungle.  There are so many species of plants and animals that it would be remarkable to get to catch a glimpse of them.

What is your hands-down favorite meal? Grilled Lobster with melted butter.

When I was a child, I was always … playing outside and enjoying mother nature.

What one word sums you up? Creative

Posted in: College of Education, News